Twelve

I'm backkk!! 👸💃

Even in the dark, the compound still looked pretty much the same as it did a little over a year ago.  I caught sight of white hair illuminated by the yellowish orange glow from the kerosene lantern that was placed at the foot of that armchair I was sure I’d recognize anywhere.

Alade looked up from the paper he was reading. He squinted and adjusted the glasses that were perched on his nose.

‘I’ve told you not to read with the lantern. Look how hard you have to squint just to see me’. I said as I ascended the stairs.

‘Ayo mi. Is this really you?’ He inquired.
‘Yes baba’.
‘My Aramide?’
‘Flesh and blood’.
He pulled me down to him and hugged me as tightly as his aging body allowed him to.

‘How are you Alade?’I asked once he let me go.
‘Alive and well’. He beamed.
‘I can see that’.
‘How is Nneka?’
‘Ehm.. She’s fine’.
His smile faltered a bit but he quickly fixed it. His eyes scanned me from toe to head.

‘You’ve come a long way my dear. Go in and freshen up, there should be some food left in the kitchen’.

The door to my room was or former room was open. Iya had spoilt the lock during one of her infamous crazed sessions. She had thought I locked myself in and decided not to answer her calls but I had locked the door from outside and rushed to the market to get snuff for Alade.

The now silent house would’ve been shaking if she were here.
Everything was almost just the exact way I left them. I could see that some things were slightly moved, maybe for better cleaning.

Alade handed me a bucket of water and I hurriedly showered but by the time I got dressed and finished eating the yam porridge I found in the kitchen, he was already asleep. I locked up and retired to my room too, I was going to have to answer a lot of questions the next day.

The sun was already up and shining when I woke the next morning, I must have been more tired than I thought I was. Alade was sitting on his armchair reading the morning paper, a chewing stick in mouth.

‘Ekaro baba’. I greeted.
‘Ehen my dear. How did you sleep?’
‘Very well, see how late I woke up’.

I looked at the compound and noticed it was already swept and the big mango tree that used to be its greatest feature had been sawed to the ground.

‘Who swept the compound?’ I asked as I sat on the half wall.
‘Oh, it’s Kunle’s daughter Suliat. She has been the one helping me since you left.
I remembered Suliat, we were in the same class and used to hawk different items at the park together, we were a bit close.

‘God bless her for me. I will go thank her later’.
Alade scoffed at the mention of the almighty.

‘Ayo, how is your mother?’ He asked, looking at me like he knew I was hiding something.
‘Fine. I guess’.
‘What do you mean you guess?’ He looked puzzled but realization dawned on him within seconds.

‘Amanda, what are you doing here?’
‘I thought I’d come spend the Christmas holidays with you’.
‘You know I do not celebrate Christmas. Does your mother know you are here?’ His eyes were stern.
I shook my head slowly and he sighed.

‘What happened?’ He asked softly.
‘Alade I told you I didn’t want to go, the life mom is offering? That is not the life I want, it is not a better life at all’.
‘How can you say that? Look at you, you look much better than you did when you stayed here’.
‘But I don’t feel better. Please baba, don’t send me back’.
He watched me cry for a while before he beckoned me to come. I rose and went and sat by his feet, placing my head on his lap.