Twenty_Five

Everyone liked combo days. I did too but not too much.  Only compulsory subjects were taught on combo days so we all shared a classroom to make the work easier for the teachers. We were using the arts classroom so I was faced with the task of finding myself a seat.

Vivian already had a seatmate, Tolu and my other friend saved the space beside her for her prince charming and no one else.  There were a couple spare seats at the back of the class so I placed myself on the one nearest to the window and took out the second book in the Take Me Home series to read while we waited for the class to commence.

I felt someone slip into the seat and turned to regard them.
"What are you doing?" I asked him
"Attending class?"
"Can't you attend class from another part of the room?"
"I don't know, I like this part better anddd I promised your mom I was going to look out for you".
"Like you've been doing all along?" Our classmates were already throwing inquisitive glances our way and I didn't like the attention.

"Yeah, if you think about it". He tapped the edge of his pen against his lips like he was really thinking about it. It was his usual pass time activity, getting a rise out of me but I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of getting to me so I returned to the book I had been reading.

Rasheed walked into the room in time with the bell and right behind him was Ms. Nancy. He lifted a brow in my direction and I replied with a little shake of my head to let him know I didn't understand what was going on either. He found a seat as Ms. Nancy began the class.

"Welcome back". If you didn't know her, you'd think she actually meant it.
"This te.. " She paused her speech and looked at me.
"Amanda Okorie, always full of surprises. You found yourself a new seat buddy?"
I heard Becca snicker.
"I'm beginning to think you have real commitment issues".

Stay calm. Breathe.

There was laughter all around me but I caught the faces of those who didn't join in and was surprised to see Marcel was one of them.

"Everyone has issues ma'am. If it's not committing to people, it's getting people to commit to you".
Marcel Wurade just threw an open shade at our teacher and once again, he had the attention and admiration of the class.
Ms. Nancy cleared her throat noisily.
"Right. Let's hope she commits to you then".
He turned to me with a half smile.
"Yeah, let's hope".

               I was left undisturbed for the rest of our classes, even Marcel appeared to be more focused on taking notes and revising which wasn't a surprise to me, his dad had said he was gunning for the NDDC scholarship.

Rasheed joined me and the girls during lunch break, he just sat there and listened to us talk, contributing when he could. He wasn't eating anything, he said he didn't feel like it but I think all the teasing I gave him about his cheeks had gotten to him. I was surprised Henrietta was having her snack with us, she and Chris had been all lovey dovey in class it was nauseating. As if on cue, she got up.

"I'll see you lot in class". She sauntered over to Chris who was waiting for her by the cafeteria doors. We all watched them for a while before returning our gazes to the table.
"How does she not see that he's playing her?" Vivian aired out.
"It's the fairytale syndrome, you only see what you want to see". Rasheed supplied

"Does it have a cure?" He chuckled
"Technically, it's not even an ailment".
"What is it then?" I inquired
"Denial? Something to do with mindset and self-esteem issues".
"We should fix her up with Sir Dom". Vivian proposed.
"She sees Sir Dom like every other student".
"Maybe she needs to see him more often like you".
I knew she meant well but her statement only made me feel self-conscious.