Twenty Nine

As promised 🍕🍕

At first glance you'd think the noise had no effect on us but it was because of the noise that we were sat like statues staring at the TV like it had all the answers to our problems.

Mom would caste a glance at me from the other end of the sofa every once in a while and I would do same but there weren't any words spoken between us. Inside the visitor's room was a different case though. Marcel yelled out words that were quickly succeeded by Kunle's equally loud responses.

I didn't know what the fuss was about, never did know. My mom didn't seem to know as well, she appeared as oblivious as I was and neither of us felt brave enough to interfere. They went at it for a few more minutes as they usually did, voices rising and calming until they exhausted their will to stand each other's presence.

We heard the sound of the door slam before Kunle walked into the living room. He stared at us, let out a frustrated sigh before continuing to the room he shared with my mom. A minute later, he was out, dressed in baggy shorts and polo and out the door without a word.

He wasn't mad at us, I doubted he was mad at Marcel either,he just didn't like to sit around and brood. Mom was the first to return to her room, I spent a few minutes nursing an idea before I rose, went to my room and got changed.

I opened the door without knocking but it didn't matter, he had his earpiece on and didn't hear me. He was sat at the reading table facing the window, there was a slim book in front of him and as I moved closer, I saw that he was drawing. It was the skyline of a city and it was beautiful.

He sensed my presence and turned before I could intrude farther.

"You didn't knock". A smirk was dancing along his lips.
"How'd you know?"
"The music isn't that loud".
"Yet you didn't here me come in. Nice drawing". He looked at his work and shrugged.

This was my first time inside the room since the day I helped him move his things in. He didn't have as many stuff as you'd expect of a guy and the room was clean safe for half-finished drawings scattered around.

"I didn't know you draw".
"I don't. Just when I'm bored". He tried to play it down but there was no downplaying that talent.
"I know. Can't have everyone knowing that 'the' Marcel does something as nerdy as painting".
He turned his chair around so he could face me.
"Ehm, it's not nerdy and I don't paint, I draw".
"Big difference".
"Exactly".

He relaxed on the seat with a satisfied smile.
"So, how can I help you? Not that I don't appreciate the impromptu visit. Why are you not dressed as a housegirl? Are you going somewhere?" He crossed his arms and gave me a questioning stare.
"Yes we are. Get dressed".
"Where are we going?"

"Abike told me about one new place in Marian and I want to check it out".
"Chris told me about it. Domino's pizza?" I nodded.
"Go check it out then, why do I have to come?"
"Because you are a nice person and if you don't, I'll tell my mom it was you who drank the beer in the fridge, not your dad".

"I'm old enough to drink beer". He boasted
"Not under her roof". He sighed
"Fine, wait outside. I need to bath".
"Hurry up. Pig". I said while scrunching my nose.

       As expected of any newly opened hot-spot, Domino's pizza was crowded, mostly by groups of young adults who were more interested in taking pictures than eating. I found us a table that wasn't too open beside two girls who were making silly pouty faces at their phone. Marcel smiled widely when our large box of pizza arrived along with two cups of ice-cream.

"It's been so long I had pizza". He said as he tore out a slice while I sat there wondering how we were going to finish the entire box.
"What is this thing made of?" He stopped mid chew to look at me. "What?"
"You've never had pizza?" I shrugged.