Eighteen

I couldn’t stop looking at the slip in my hand. They had improved, my grades had improved, just a little anyway.

‘You don’t have to keep staring at it, it won’t change if you take your eyes off it’. Rasheed said. We were seated at the front of the administrative block with Abike, waiting for Mrs. Dapo to come pick us up for the Easter break. Vivian had left already and Rasheed should have too but he insisted on waiting till we left.

Henrietta stood a couple feet away with Chris, they had grown tight over the term much to Vivian’s annoyance. I didn’t approve but Hen was happy and I didn’t see any harm in it.

Chris hugged her tightly before moving to join Marcel who was leaned against the wall, impatiently tapping his left leg.

Hen sulked to us and dumped herself beside Abike. After the midterm test, they hadn’t been seeing too much of each other because while Hen stayed in arts class, Chris was sent to humanities, just like myself and Rasheed.

‘It’s just the Easter break, we are not graduating. Besides PH isn’t that far from here, he can always come visit you there’. Abike said to Henrietta.
Shebi it’s you that will pay his transport?’ Hen asked sourly.

‘He is capable. Is his father not junior Otedola?’
Rasheed and I kept looking back and forth between them as they bickered on.

‘Why is he still in his compound wear?’ Abike inquired
‘He is helping Marcel sort things out, they’ll leave after everyone else’.

The familiar honk drew mine and Abike’s attention to the gate. She got up immediately and began rolling her box down with Hen behind her.
‘Your official ride is here’. Rasheed said as we rose together.
I smiled and looked at him.

‘What?’ He asked
‘Aren’t you going to tell me to study as usual?’
He laughed.
‘I’ll miss you small sha’.
‘Awn. I’ll miss you too beloved rat shit’.
‘I don’t know how I manage with you’. He picked up his bag and began walking in the direction of the gate.
‘Bye-bye!’ I yelled. He didn’t turn but I could tell he was smiling.

Mrs. Dapo had parked in front of the administrative block and was now trying to pry a dramatic Henrietta away from Abike. I reached just as Hen released her and was about to attack me.
‘I will tell Chris you snore, I swear I will’. I quickly threatened and she backed off.

‘I’m gonna miss you’. She sobbed, wiping imaginary tears and I patted her shoulder.
‘Abike omo mi, kilode?’ Mrs. Dapo questioned, sounding alarmed. Abike simply rolled her eyes.
‘Mommy what is it now?’
‘Where did all you flesh go? Why are you so skinny? How come no one called me?’

‘Skinny ke? I still look like two bags of garri’.
‘My friend keep quiet. Were you sick?’
Abike opened her mouth to lie but I beat her to it.
‘Yes. She’s been having this stomach issues but she wouldn’t let the nurse call you’. Mrs. Dapo’s eyes went wide.
‘Bike is that true? Se oya werey? Why would you do that?’

‘Mommy it’s nothing serious’.
‘It’s a lie o’. Hen spoke up. ‘She cried so much I could feel her pain’.
That was a little exaggerated but appreciated.
‘We are going to the hospital once we drop Amanda off’. Mrs. Dapo said and got into the driver’s seat.

Abike sighed and took shotgun, usually, she’d insist on sitting behind with me but today I was the enemy.

Ekpe smiled at me as he came to help me with my bag without saying a word, I didn’t understand until I turned to go inside and saw my mom by the door, smiling. She hugged me for what must have exceeded a minute and took my schoolbag, ushering me in.