Thirty Six

Situations always have a funny way of twisting themselves up when it comes to me and I usually end up paying the price of for the bad things that happen to me. Apex secondary school was once again humming my name, loud enough that we all heard it but not so loud to make any real difference.

I didn't know what they were saying behind my back and I was mad that it bothered me. I was bothered by their stares, by what they thought of me but mostly, I was bothered that my friend group was falling apart because of my truth.

In our room, it was like ss2 third term all over again. Vivian spent most of her time with Tolu but she was better than Henrietta who turned to a ghost. She only came to the room to have her bath and long after lights out when she thought we were all asleep.
She'd quietly crawl into her bed and from the top bunk I'd watch her stare off for what felt like hours before being consumed by sleep, sometimes it got to me before her.

Abike never let me out of her sight except during classes. She wanted me to report to an authority figure but in Apex, Christopher Lawal was more of an authority figure than most of the staff. Besides, what would I tell them? That the son of hotshot commissioner tried to rape me in my room?

No one would take my word over his, especially since the only one who could speak up had sworn to never look at me again.

Every passing second, I felt a pinch of my strength leave me. All Sir. Dominic's talk of me being strong and meaning something was crumbled and thrown into the trash at the back of my brain. I was misfortune on two wobbly feet, created to be a punching bag for sad experiences.

        With everything spiralling in my life, Rasheed tried to be the one thing that stayed the same. He didn't confront me about the rumors, maybe he thought that if he didn't address it, if he pretended to not know then he wouldn't have to walk on eggshells around me.

Normally, I wouldn't appreciate pretence but normal is a word that will never be fit to describe my life anymore, so I appreciated it, a lot.

"Physics is for the boys, biology is for the girls". He insisted.
We were alone at our table in the cafeteria. I had no idea where the others were and didn't exactly care, I could use a break from their cautious stares and careful speeches.

"You just stereotyped subjects, how original". I took a sip from my yoghurt.
"You can't deny that girls prefer biology to physics". He pressed.
"Maybe most but not all and that's not enough reason to label it a girls' subject. Guys like biology just fine, remember reproduction class?"
He grinned.

"Who doesn't? Marcel was just asking...." He paused abruptly and stared at me.
Rasheed and Marcel still talked, he knew that there was something wrong with us but decided not to get involved.
"Sorry, it just..."
"It's okay, I'm not allergic to his name".

But I was allergic to the sight of him beside Christopher Lawal. They walked into the cafeteria in the company of three other boys who were yapping and shoving each other around. I wanted to look away but I didn't until his eyes met mine, even then.

"Like what you see?" Christopher Lawal asked with a smirk.
I hadn't realized they were beside our table now. I glared at the bastard, he knew I hadn't been looking at him. I could feel Rasheed's eyes on me, he couldn't pretend anymore, he knew something had happened.

"I bet she does". One of the guys said but I didn't bother to look at him, my eyes stayed on Chris.
"If you wanted some, you could have just asked. Instead of coming up with that elaborate story".

It happened fast. One second, Chris was giving me a disgusting smirk and the next, he was on the floor, so close to my leg I was tempted to stomp him.
"What the hell dude?" One of the other boys yelled, staring at Marcel who was fuming and glaring at his bestfriend who once again, hadn't expected to get punched.

       I noticed the quietness of the cafeteria as we all watched Christopher Lawal get back on his feet. He tried to control the rage but I knew he was going to fail. He shoved hard against his chest but Marcel merely staggered. Everyone was staring, including the cafeteria staff.

"You said we were cool". Chris accused, shoving Marcel again.
"I also said you'd leave her alone". Marcel stood his ground.
"What do you care? Because her mother is letting your father..."
He looked like he had suddenly gained a few more pounds as his eyes narrowed into slits, daring Chris to say just one more word.

"Whatever, man". Chris muttered, pulling on his bottom lip to inspect it. I could see the blood lining his teeth as he walked away.
"What is going on here?" Ms. Flora marched in, missing the whole thing. Whoever had reported hadn't ran fast enough.

She took one look at Marcel and sighed.
"To my office". She softly ordered, then turning to Chris, she did the same.

       I already knew what she was going to say to them, something about being prefects and model students, friends for that matter. She'd try to find out the cause of the conflict but neither of them would say a word, they'd stare at her table, backs hunched and muscles tense until she gave it up and let them go.

I knew she wasn't going to suspend them as it was stated in the School's book of rules and regulations. Call it favoritism or sexism but Ms. Flora let Chris and Marcel go with manual labor as their punishment, one that they could easily have junior students do for them.

As much as it displeased me, I was still grateful that my mom and Kunle didn't have to deal with another suspended child.

----------------------------------------------------
This took a while
I'm sorry.