Epilogue

The silence was choking. Yes, our surroundings provided a little noise to minimize the awkwardness but the silence in the packed living room made me jumpy in my seat.

The wall adjacent to me was covered with portraits that I wished I could browse through to escape all the adults but there was no escape for me, I was one of the adults now and for someone who had taken care of herself most of her life, I wasn't doing a great job at being one.

My eyes stayed fixed on the old calendar hanging on the wall behind the seats opposite me and I didn't dare look down because I knew they'd be looking at me, they had been since we drove into this compound in the east.

"So, Kunle. Right?" The elderly man asked in his tired tone.
"Yes sir". Uncle Kunle shifted forward in his seat. He had told us he would take us home immediately if things went south but he was still nervous, he still wanted to make an impression.

"What happened to the other one? Her father". He thrust his chin in my direction, glancing at me with cloudy eyes.
"He.. He ran away". My mom stuttered. The nerves in the room were charged.
"Why?"

My mom looked at the floor, then at Kunle who nodded encouragingly.
"He killed his mother".
"Chi'm o!" The elderly lady screamed from beside her husband.
She was beautiful, as my mom had always said, even with the wrinkles and grey hair, her eyes still shone and her jawline stood classically prominent on her face.

"I knew that boy was bad news". The old man tsked, causing his wife to glare at him.
"And you sent our daughter to him". She accused.
"Your daughter sent herself there when she let him defile her".
Tears fell from his wife's eyes, almost in sync with my mom's.

We all stayed quiet and in the silence I saw the unresolved pain in the room.
"She made a mistake and you banished her". His wife said.
"Woman, please".
"Our only child". She continued and he sighed, looking out the window.

"Papa Nneka, is that not wickedness? Does your Bible not teach you forgiveness? I begged you... "
"Ozugo!" I feared for his shaking body as he turned abruptly to face his wife.
Once again, we fell into silence until my mom began speaking.

"I do not blame anyone for everything that happened to me but myself. I was stupid, I committed a big sin, even more after I left this house. I did a lot of things that I am not proud of but..." Her voice broke and Kunle rubbed her shoulder soothingly. She smiled at him and patted his hand gently.

"I am not here to talk about my past and be condemned all over again. I came here because Nne, you always talked about the stories you'd tell my daughter and how you'd teach her to make Ofada rice and ofensala. You broke ties with me but not her right?

I thought she should get to know you because everyone needs a family and Amanda didn't have one until recently and I'm going to solidify that for her by getting married to Kunle". She smiled at the man who no longer looked tense.

"He insisted on paying my dowry to my people, it's another reason for our coming. You don't have to take it if it bothers you but we would really appreciate it if you came for the wedding at least".
Another silence emerged and it made me stressed.

"Can I have some water?" Everyone turned to me but I focused on my mother's mother who smiled and got out of her seat.
"Sorry my dear. I didn't even offer you something after the long journey". I returned her smile.
"Follow me to the kitchen, I think I still have small fish there, we will make pepper for everybody".

I got up and followed her to the kitchen a few feet away from the living room, separated by a thick curtain. She opened a big basket and brought out five dried fishes, placing them in a tray. She then put some fresh pepper in a bowl and I took it from her.

"I will wash them. Where is the water?" She opened the big bucket behind her and I scooped some water into the bowl.
She began chopping onions as I washed the pepper, glancing at me occasionally with a smile.

"Your mother used to be useless in the kitchen until she turned fifteen and her friends started mocking her. She insisted on making all the food in the house and for a month we ate absolute rubbish but she got better and her father began to prefer her food to mine". She laughed fondly, as did I.

"I hope she taught you how to cook".
"I started cooking since I was seven".
She paused and looked at me with guilty eyes.
"My daughter, it wasn't easy for you, I know". I shrugged as I put the pepper in the mortar she had placed before me.

"But you are here now and I am so happy". She smiled as the curtain parted and my mom walked into the kitchen.
"Nneka, Nneoma". He mom called fondly as tears clouded her eyes.
"Can you forgive your mother? I didn't fight for you. I should have tormented him until he took me to where he abandoned you".

"Mama, it's okay". My mom said.
"I am a very bad mother". Her mom was crying again.
"I'm not a very good one either, ask Amanda". Mom teased and I nodded zealously, causing them both to laugh before hugging each other.

"It is well". Her mother said as she looked at both of us.
"Are you leaving today?" She asked.
"Yes, I didn't think daddy would welcome us".
"Okay but you will tell me all about that fine young man before you go".
"Mommy!" My mom hailed her mother and we laughed.

       We prepared the sauce together and ate it with the men in the living room. The tension had dissipated, making conversation a little easier. They asked about mom's job, Kunle's too and mom told them about my school. I hadn't written WAEC at Apex because I had been more concerned with my mom's health.

It took three months for the doctors to give her a clear that eased my mind. I hadn't registered for JAMB so I took it the next year while I waited for my GCE report but I didn't meet the cut off mark and had to take it again and by the time I started school, some of my mates were already in their third year.

My phone rang as my grandmother was talking about her fabric business and I went outside to take the call.
"How is it going?" Marcel asked. His voice had gotten deeper over the years but he insisted mine was worst.
"They are eating fish and pepper sauce".

"That's a good sign right?"
"I guess. When are you coming back?"
"I'm still trying to get things sorted out with school and all that".
"Well hurry up. I'm tired of putting up with your parents alone".
He laughed.

"Henrietta said she and Abike are coming to spend a week with you".
"Yes, they are helping me with the wedding stuff. You two are getting close". I teased.
"You know it's not even like that".
"I know she's crazy about you".

"I don't need crazy".
"You tell her that. She said she is staying in your room when she comes".
"Please browny, don't let her into my room".
"I don't know, I... "
"Amanda". He pleaded and I laughed.

"Sweep the living room when you get back?"
"Is that how you treat your brother who has spent years outside the country alone?"
"Are you doing it or not?"
"Fine".
"That's a good boy. Bye!"

Marcel had gotten the NDDC scholarship he worked so hard for and was studying engineering at some fancy college in the US. He didn't like to talk about school much but he talked about his new friends and roommates, he let me talk to some of them too when we skyped.

He hadn't been home for over two years since he left so the wedding was sort of a reunion for us, even Vivian was leaving unilag for a few days to attend. She didn't go to uniport because she wanted to be as far away from her parents as possible and unical wasn't an option because according to her, they had spies there.

It was hard to keep in touch with Rasheed these days but he assured me he would be there. I was just grateful that everyone would be there, even Alade. Regardless of the fact that I had to be the maid of honor, knowing Marcel would be the bestman consoled me.

-----------------------------------------------------
The final full stop.
Most of you asked for a wedding scene😁
Sorry I couldn't give you guys that, I just felt this was more important. Be consoled knowing that the wedding will happen, whether you are there or not. Lol.

Anyway, check out the next chapter, it's important to me😌