Twenty Four

The second week of my short break was spent in the safe confinement of my room. Marcel was usually down the hall doing whatever it is secondary school demigods do at home. I’d hear him leave sometimes to go for a walk, Ekpe said he had made some friends around.

Christopher Lawal came around a couple more times during which I would plug in my earphones and listen to the songs Rasheed had saved in the IPod. I did miss him but we spoke on the phone sometimes, he was usually busy during the day helping his aunt out at the cyber café.

There had been no more excursions for myself and Marcel but somehow we figured out a way to exist in the same space without causing an earthquake. I spent a good part of the week with Abike at the hospital until she was discharged.

Her mom being her mom wasn’t comfortable with her resuming school until her wound was completely healed so I was resuming alone but that didn’t mean I was free of the pre-resumption lecture, my mom had developed the trait too.

‘No fighting’. She had said that particular one five times.
‘I’ve heard’.
‘I’m serious. No suspensions, keep away from bad company and read your book’.
Leaned against the driver’s door, Kunle kept irritatingly jiggling the car keys.
‘Yes mom’. She held my shoulders and gave me a pleading look.

‘Don’t get into any trouble, ignore everyone who troubles you okay? Just… keep it together’.

‘I’m keeping it together mom’. I shrugged her hands off. ‘Why didn’t Marcel get all these advice?’
‘Marcel is a boy, he can take care of himself’.
‘That is so sexist and I’ve been taking care of myself, all my life, you don’t have to worry’. I tried to give her a comforting smile before she pulled me in for a brief hug.

‘Take care’. She said as I hopped down the stairs.
‘Drive safe babe’. She said to Kunle as I got in the front seat of the car.

Mom had asked Kunle to drop Marcel and I at school but Marcel had squeezed his way out of the joyless ride by hitching one with Chris in the early hours of the morning. It was too early to resume but he said they had to help Ms. Flora set up. I think we all knew he left to escape being dragged to church by the adults.

I watched the city whoosh by through the window, Kunle hadn’t said anything to me and I knew the man enough to know he wouldn’t appreciate it if I turned on the stereo. We remained quiet for the short ride to Apex.

Once inside the school compound, I saw Henrietta and Vivian waiting for me at the administrative block as per our tradition. Chris and Marcel were there too with some of their friends, inspecting the junior students. I saw Kunle see him and a smile ghosted on his face.

‘He looks okay’. I had feeling he was talking to himself o I stayed quiet.

‘Thank you uncle’. I said and moved to open the door but he asked me to stay put.
‘We haven’t really talked, mostly because your mom said you aren’t the outspoken type and I’ve had years of experience with that, still don’t know how to deal with it’.

His eyes moved to where his son was seated.

‘Your mom told me everything and I know I will never understand what you’ve been through but I can promise you that I’m not here to cause you any more pain, none of you. I just want to be there for you, I want a family for us; you, me, your mom and Marcel.

He might not look like it but that boy has been through a lot and I’m glad you two are here together, I hope you’ll be able to look out for each other’.

I looked to Marcel, he had his legs propped up on the table, reading a novel. Even with all the activity going on around him, he appeared to be absorbed in the book.
‘I think Marcel and I will survive’. I told him and he barked out a laugh.
‘I have no doubts’.