Thirty Three

This Christmas was better than the last, if you looked past the horror of my mom dragging Marcel and I along for an elaborate trip round the mall. She was going all out this year with an extra large Christmas tree and decores still too many for it. I told her about Marcel's artistic prowess and she cajoled him into drawing some aesthetics that she hung up in the living room.

Christmas morning in the Okorie/Wurade house started on an interesting note with a bang on Marcel's door that I could hear from my room, followed by a loud 'ho-ho-ho'.
I let out a small chuckle as I hurried to my bathroom to brush my teeth. When the knock landed on my door, I was already smiling.

"Ho-ho-ho!" Kunle's cheered as I opened the door. He was dressed as Santa, with a black beard, that I was grateful for.
"Good morning uncle Kunle". I greeted.
"Amanda. Call me fada christmas". I laughed at that.
"Okay, fada christmas". He nodded with a smile and lifted the two boxes in his hands to me.

"Merry Christmas my dear. From your mother..." He handed over the first box.
"And from.. "
"Fada Christmas" I provided.
"You got it. You can open them later, for now, please join your mother in the kitchen or we'll be having that meal tomorrow".
I placed the gifts on the table and went out to the kitchen where my mom already had a lot going on.

"Wow. Are we expecting guests?"
She turned away from the carrots she was dicing to smile at me.
"Just the four of us. Merry Christmas my angel".
"Same to you. So, how do you need me?"
"Just.. erm, shell the shrimps".
I got to it and soon enough we were plating the food.

Marcel sauntered into the kitchen dressed in his sweatpants, a hoodie and football socks, his 'warm armour' in his terms.
"Yeah, this is what I'm talking about". He said, heading straight for the bowl containing fried chicken but my mom got in his way.
"Aunty". He said with a sweet smile. "Thanks for the vans, I've always wanted it".

"I know, that is why I got it for you. Now, leave the kitchen".
"Why? I came to help".
"Yes. With your mouth". I stated and he threw me a careless smirk.
"We don't need help, Marcel". Mom had her arms crossed now so he lifted his hands in surrender.
"Fine, don't take my help then. I'll just get water and go".

He crossed the room to the fridge where he took out a bottle of water. My mom had returned to transferring the garnish rice from the pot but I kept my eyes on him that is why I was able to snatch the bowl of chicken before he could get his hand on it.

"Seriously?" He hissed and I stuck my tongue out at him.
"Winch".
"Marcel. Out! " Mom ordered and this time, he left.

          Breakfast started later than usual but judging from Kunle's continuous nodding and Marcel's noisy chewing, I'd say it was worth it. I was a little excited after washing the dishes to return to my room and unwrap my gifts but Marcel was in front of my room. He smiled as I approached him.

"I know you love food but stop showing me your broken tooth".
"My selling point". He bragged
"Well, I'm not looking to buy you".
"If you'd stop trying to sound smart, I got a gift for you".
I couldn't pretend to not be surprised. I hadn't thought to get him anything.

"Gift?"
"Yes, Amanda. It's Christmas, that's what... Flatmates do. Plus, we are buddies now".
"Right". I chuckled a little.
"I didn't have the strength to wrap it so, here you go". He stretched out his right hand that he'd had bent behind him the whole time.

"Marcel". My voice was too quiet but he had more than surprised me. In his hand was a book I had spent the entire holidays hunting down.
"You always talk about how you loved purple hibiscus and I figured you'd want to read another of her work. So, voila! It's supposed to be a classic".

"Where did you get it? I've searched every bookstore I could find".
"Do you even know Calabar? Just say thank you and shut up".
I punched his shoulder.
"Thank you".
"You'll still lend it to me when you are done".

I opened my mouth to protest but he was already inside his room.
"Dad got you a jersey. I helped him pick it out".
He poked his head out to say, ruining my surprise.

           Abike and her mom came, as usual. There was no cooler of fried rice this time but they came with a moderate sized cake covered in white frosting to hide the chocolate underneath. With the adults in the living room discussing and laughing, Abike, Marcel and I settled in my room to watch a movie on her iPad.

The smiles came easily and I felt tingly with emotions I couldn't name. I didn't want to stop feeling that way but I knew I'd have to, maybe that is why I appreciated it more. They stayed until it was dark. We had more cake, drinks and Marcel had two more plates of rice.

Everything was going well until Kunle said;
"It's time for prayers".
He still had on his fada Christmas clothes.
Marcel and I protested quietly but it wouldn't be Christmas without vigorous prayers.

                           *                        *                      *
Crowd.
I've never really minded them but I'd never been a part of one as huge as this. Abike hadn't needed to convince Marcel to go to the carnival with her and against both of them with the backing of my mom, I didn't stand a chance.

It wasn't bad, if you didn't mind the crowd and found a nice spot from where you could see the parade but in order to get a good view, you would have to be standing. Abike told me everything she deemed necessary.

There were four major bands; seagull, passion 4,masta blasta and bayside band, each telling a story in relation to the general theme. There were other noncompetitive bands like the Hit FM band.

         We had been here almost all day, watching half-naked girls dance, shredded guys do stunts and celebrities in ridiculous clothing. Abike tried to carry me along but soon gave up and concentrated on familiarizing with some of our schoolmates we had come across and sharing whispers with Marcel.

They were having fun until Chris Lawal showed up. He did that cliche bro hug thing with Marcel, then threw a reluctant 'hi'at the rest of us. My mood wasn't the only one that got ruined, Abike turned her attention to me again and I was glad to indulge her. Thankfully he didn't stay long, he talk Marcel into going to some club with some other boys from but Marcel was sensible enough to decline.

Night had fallen now and the place was more heated but I was finally starting to loosen up with Abike's arm securely wrapped around my shoulders and the feel of Marcel's presence at my left together with the streams of color beneath us, clash of music and the glitters on makeup clad bodies.
I felt alive.

--------------------------------------------------------
Another double update... Have the gods been appeased or what?