Seventeen

Valentine’s Day was declared lessons free, apparently the school’s management aka Miss Flora took love very seriously.

Henrietta screamed as we got into our room.

‘There are small parcels on our beds! Except Mandy’s’. She added with a small frown.

I had stayed back after they rushed to breakfast so I could place the gifts I had gotten them on their beds. They all eyed me suspiciously as they unwrapped the packages.

‘Omg! It’s so pretty!’ Hen squealed before kissing the charm bracelet. I had seen them on tour with Ekpe and decided to buy them for all of us. They were all in gold and said the same thing; BFF.

Abike hugged me. ‘This was very thoughtful of you’. She said
‘Calm down. It’s just bracelets’.
I turned to Vivian who was giving me a smile not one of her smirks or lopsided grins.
‘You know this is very cheesy right?’ she said
‘I know you like it’.

‘Awn, look at you all being cute. Group hug!’ Hen said and wrapped her hands around us all before we could escape.

We spent the rest of the morning in our room helping Abike and Henrietta sort through the gifts they had received and the ones they were giving out. Aside the girls, only Rasheed sent me a gift; an iPod with all the songs he knew I hated on it.
Hen said those things were expensive but he attached a note that said it was one of the yearly birthday gifts he got from his big sister so I didn’t have to worry about having his entire savings spent on me.

Vivian got chocolates from Tolu and a handwritten poem that basically told her to stop being a meanie and let out her inner teddy bear. I expected her to rip it into pieces but she glued it to her wall.

Hen was giggling madly as she unwrapped gifts after gifts from her friends, I was glad that she was no longer stressing over Chris, he still hadn’t asked her to the val. Cotillion.

Everything was okay until we heard a tap on our window, we all paused and stared at each other in horror as we heard it again, our room was on the second floor.

‘I’m getting my catapult’. Vivian said and began searching through her drawer till she brought out her weapon, I wasn’t surprised to see her pull out a stone too.

‘Open the window Hen’. She commanded.
‘Why me?’ Hen whined
‘You look innocent, no one would want to hurt you’.
‘Thanks for the compliment but no’.
I sighed and pushed the window open that almost hit the intruder.

‘Well, I just escaped death’. He said looking to the ground from the ladder.
‘Chris?’
‘Hey witch. Is Henrietta in?’

‘You shouldn’t be here’.
‘You should usher me in before I fall off this thing’.
‘It’d serve you right’.
‘What do you want?’ I turned to see Vivian, her weapon drawn and targeted at Chris. As I shifted, his eyes fell on Henrietta and he climbed in.

‘Lower your weapon, I come in peace’. He said, both hands raised up in surrender.
‘Through the window’. Abike sassed
‘It’s not like I could walk in through the door’. He was getting frustrated.

‘Chris, what do you want?’ Hen wasn’t even smiling. I was so proud of her, I had expected her to fly into his arms and ask him to take her away to the moon.

‘I just want to talk’.
‘You will be talking to all of us because we ain’t going nowhere’. Vivian pronounced.
‘Fine with me’. He dug into his pocket and brought out a parcel.
‘I wanted to give you this and know if maybe you’d like to be my date to Val’s cot’. I saw a smile ghost on Hen’s face. She wasn’t one to hide excitement well.