Chapter 8

Saturday November 6th 2038 - 10:00 am

I sat at Uncle Hank's desk at the station, hugging myself as I looked down at my shoes, waiting for Uncle Hank to show. He was gone when I woke up this morning, and I was afraid of being alone. After that interrogation...it only made my nightmares worse. That deviant...was the same model as Andrew, and seeing it again after so many years...it made me feel trapped and scared of my own mind. I couldn't even get any sleep, it was another night filled with tossing and turning and crying out for help, and this time Uncle Hank didn't come to stay with me. Maybe he left earlier than I thought? I sighed, looking around at the other detectives...and androids, as they moved around the station, talking amongst themselves. I looked down when I heard footsteps approaching, not really looking forward to talking to anyone; "Excuse me, do you know when your uncle will arrive?"

My head shot up in shock, and my gaze locked with Connor's, who held that curious little head tilt. I glared at it, turning away; "I don't know," I muttered, hugging my knees to my chest. "Would you mind if I waited with you until he arrives?" it continued. "Yes," I snapped, glaring at it again. It just blinked, its LED flashing yellow until it nodded once, and sat down at the empty desk in front of me. Does it not understand English? It was tense silence after for a good few minutes, its brown eyes burning into me as it stared. "You seem hostile, Skye. Am I making you uncomfortable?" it asked innocently. I just ignored it, turning my head away from it; "I'm sorry if my presence bothers you, but I must see Lieutenant Anderson," it told me. I quietly huffed, narrowing my eyes; "That doesn't mean we can't talk in the meanwhile?"

I snapped my gaze back to it; "You need to shut the fuck up," I hissed, gritting my teeth. Connor just stayed silent, going back to staring at me; "You have a very pretty name." I arched my brow at it, involuntarily blushing at its compliment, and I turned away. "Did yesterday's deviant hurt you when you found it?" Connor continued gently. Does it ever listen to orders? I narrowed my eyes; "Why the hell do you care?" I muttered. It blinked, tilting its head again; "You are my partner's niece, I'd like to know if you are in good health," it replied. I gave it a long look before sighing softly; "I'm fine," I whispered, looking away. It just nodded, looking down at the desk, and it was silent once more for a little bit; "I'd like to get to know you." I casted it a side glance when it spoke again, this time in a friendly tone.

"If you'll be working with the Lieutenant and I on cases, I believe it'll be preferable to know one another better," it explained. I gave it a look, one of curiosity...yet of confusion; I decided to play along. "Why are you so driven to know me?" I questioned. "First you follow me around at Ortiz's place, then you're checking over me after we caught the deviant, and now here you are, engaging in small talk with me." I leaned forward a little; "What kind of gears are turning in your head for you to be so curious?" Its LED flashed yellow again, making me lean back in my chair; "I don't know..." it mumbled. It sounded genuinely confused, looking over at me; "I find you and Lieutenant Anderson to be...intriguing humans. I am essentially programmed to find information on missions." I scoffed, clenching my jaw and glaring at it - what the hell was I doing, talking to a machine?

I turned away again just in time to see Uncle Hank walk in, and I smiled in relief. "Uncle Hank!" I called. I hopped off my chair and hurried over to him, hugging him tightly; "Whoa, hey there, kid. What are you doing here?" he asked, looking down at me. "I...didn't want to be alone. Not after yesterday with that deviant..." I admitted, frowning a little. Uncle Hank sighed, then ruffled my hair before walking over to his desk; Connor stood up, adjusting its tie. "It's good to see you again, Lieutenant," it greeted happily. "Ugh, jesus," Uncle Hank groaned, rolling his eyes. "Hank!" Captain Fowler suddenly called. "In my office!" Uncle Hank sighed, then turned back to me; "Wait here, I'll be back soon," he said, and walked off. I groaned, looking back to Connor, and it gave me an awkward smirk; "Great..." I muttered, and sat back down in Uncle Hank's chair.