Chapter 17

"Your friends' lives are in your hands - just because she's over with you, doesn't mean I can't kill her from here. Now it's time to decide what matters most! Them, or the revolution?"

I looked over to Connor seeing the look of fear on his face. "Don't you fucking dare touch her!" Uncle Hank yelled. He turned to charge at the second Connor but he just cocked the gun, making Uncle Hank stand down. Connor took a deep breath; "I used to be just like you! I thought nothing mattered except the mission.... But then one day I understood," he called. Connor 2.0 scoffed; "Very moving, Connor...but I'm not a deviant. I'm a machine designed to accomplish a task, and that's EXACTLY what I am going to do!" he yelled back, inching closer to Uncle Hank with the gun. "If I surrender...how do I know you won't kill him? If you won't kill her?" Connor asked, looking over at me for a second as he tried to step a little closer. "I'll only do what is strictly necessary to accomplish my mission. It's up to you whether or not that includes killing these two humans," Connor 2.0 told him.

Just when I think I've finally escaped death.... "Enough talk!" he spat, pressing the gun against Uncle Hank's temple. "NO!!" I took a step forward, but Connor stopped me, taking my hand and holding me back. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. I won't hesitate to kill him, and then I'll have the satisfaction of killing you, too, in front of your little pet!" Connor 2.0 warned. I looked to Uncle Hank, seeing the shock and slight fear on his face when his gaze met mine. "It's time to decide who you really are, Connor - are you going to save your partner and your lover's life? Or are you going to sacrifice them?" Now whoa, I wouldn't take it that far.... Connor sighed, then stepped away from the android he still held, still holding my hand as we faced off with Connor 2.0. "Alright, alright! You win..." he declared. I gave him a look of shock, but he just subtly winked at me.

Connor 2.0 then turned the gun on us, but Uncle Hank dove for the gun while Connor raced forward. I ran forward, too, shoving Uncle Hank out of the way just in time for Connor 2.0 to shoot. I let out a scream when the bullet tore through my side, but it went right through, which was a little bit of a relief. "Skye!!" Uncle Hank grabbed me, trying to put pressure on the wound; "Jesus fucking christ kid, what did I say about doing crazy shit like that again?!" he snapped. I just shrugged; "I told you I'd probably do something stupid anyway." He sighed, looking me in the eye before saying, "Take off your shirt. I'll try to wrap this up." I shimmied out of my jacket, turning back to see both Connors still locked in battle, but we were quickly running out of time. I handed him my shirt, instantly freezing up when the cold air met my skin, and he tied a tight, makeshift tourniquet around my waist. "It'll have to do for now, here," he said, handing me my jacket. I pulled it on, zipping it up halfway before spotting the gun, and in a rush of excitement I grabbed it.

"HOLD IT!!" I yelled. Both Connors froze, one on top of the other, and they looked up at me as they stood up. "Thanks Skye, I don't how I'd have managed without you. Get rid of him, we have to time to lose!" one Connor said, pointing to the other. I looked to the second one; "It's me, Skye, I'm the real Connor!" he pleaded. I looked between both of them, shifting the gun back and forth slowly; "One of you is my uncle's partner, and someone I...really care about. The other is a sack of lying shit - question is, who is who?" I said. I took a deep breath, trying not to shake as I stood in front of both of them; "What are you doing, Skye? I'm the real Connor! Give me the gun and I'll - !" I aimed back at the Connor on my right, taking a step forward. "Don't you fucking move!!" I spat. "Why don't you ask us something?" the Connor on my left suggested. "Something only the real Connor would know."

I looked to Uncle Hank, and he nodded once; "Okay, where did we first meet?" I asked. The left Connor opened his mouth, but the right Connor beat him to it. "Jimmy's bar! I checked 4 other bars before I found you, we went to the scene of a homicide. The victim's name was Carlos Ortiz," he said. The left Connor mumbled something to himself, making me turn to aim the gun at him; "What's my dog's name?" I continued. "Sumo, his name is Sumo!" he replied, sounding a little hopeful. "I knew that, too!" the right Connor said quickly, smiling a little nervously. I sighed, running out of things to ask when Uncle Hank spoke; "My son...what's his name?" I bit my lip, looking between both Connors as I pointed the gun at the left one. He had a sincere look on his face as he said, "Cole. His name was Cole...and he just turned 6 at the time of the accident."