June 23, 1996

Dear Wiz, 

I guess writing this to you is pointless since you're gone. 

I can't help it though. I really just like reflecting on what you did for me. Your irritated grunts and jokes made me laugh. 

I can't forget the words said. The whole phrase just echoes in my mind over and over again. I remember you said that I can't blame myself.  But I can't help it. 

I do blame myself. 

I miss you so much Wiz and I can't stop missing you. 

But if I'm going to write this to you right now it's not going to be complaining and whining. I'm sure you've heard enough of that. 

I wanted to say thank you, Wiz. 

I wasn't strong enough and you saved me. And I'm sorry I couldn't save you. 

You know, Uncle came into my room last night and at first we just sat there in silence. I didn't really want to talk and I knew Uncle had something to say, but he just sat there with me. He's good at stuff like that. 

He grabbed my arm with his new robot hand and pulled me in for a hug. 

I just let him. I didn't really have the energy to fight it. 

He talked to me. "Look Billy, I know you see yourself as a hero and the guy that needs to save the day. I love you for that and don't think I could ever stop loving you, but you can't save everybody. That's important."

He paused and rubbed my back. "Remember the day you got your powers? That was something wasn't it?" He gave a small chuckle but I didn't laugh. I just wanted him to leave me alone. 

So I told him that, but he just continued on with his story. 

"Billy, I grounded you that day because I didn't want you to get hurt. I think that's an obvious reason, but the real reason I didn't want you fighting is because I knew you couldn't stop once you started. It would be this addiction that I couldn't stop you from doing and eventually you would rely on that addiction to define you as a person. I had a feeling you would get hurt and this would happen... but sulking won't fix your feelings."

I pushed him away, "I'm only 12 and I've seen so many people die!"

"I know, and that's awful. I didn't want you to fight because of what's happening now, but Billy, I think you should fight. When you help people it gives you a purpose and right now you don't have one."

There's was just more silence. 

"I know you lost a friend to that guy and you blame yourself. So maybe you should go honor your friend and help the world."

After that he left. 

I couldn't help but think about you, Wiz.

I know you picked me and I know that the city needs me. It's been falling apart everyday since I've been gone. 

So I've decided I'll fight for you, Wiz. 

I'll keep on going for you and I'll keep training for you. 

And I'll get Black Adam. I swear to you on that. 

-Billy