Prologue

January 1992

70, 75, 85, 90, 95, 110—the speedometer on Kurt's car kept climbing as he sat and watched, feeling the open windows blow his hair back. She smiled as she drove down the open road, beholden to no one, driving away from everyone.

Kurt smiled too, laughing with her as they went further and further into the darkness, embracing their reckless reputation by taking swigs from the bottle as they drove. She had never driven this fast and it was obvious, she seemed so free as her hair blew around her, creating a halo reflected against the stars of the night sky.

Kurt was thinking this was the girl he wanted to spend the rest of  his life with and the epitome of why was sitting next to him in the drivers seat. Her happiness was infectious, her innocence intriguing. No soul could match his the way hers does in all ways, his feelings for her were all consuming and just like the drugs they injected into their weak veins, he had craved her from the moment they met.

Whatever happened, whatever they took on they would do it together. This moment exemplified all Kurt wanted the rest of their lives together: full of happiness, absent of regret, undoubtedly passionate.

He wanted them to be forever speeding down the road next to the ocean, feeling overwhelmed with love for one another and at peace with the moment in front of them. He wanted be sitting next to her forever, so that he could give her the world while experiencing it all by her side.

He turned to her then, and saw her turn to him, her iconic ear-to-ear smile spread across her face without faltering. She widened her eyes slightly and he remembered thinking about how exciting this was for her, how she would remember this night for a long time as one of their best nights in a long time and—

BOOM.

Suddenly all was stopped, where her face was .01 seconds before was now blackness, in her place instead was nothingness and abruptly all was gone. Into the darkness they fell, without time to be unnerved by the ferocity of the forces keeping them there in the first place.