Chapter 24

"Guys remember we need to talk about plans for a music video soon" Nirvana's manager Danny Goldberg says when he arrives at a photo shoot the band was doing as part of promotional duties for the new record.

"Which single do they want us to go with again?" Asks Kurt, pulling at his t-shirt uncomfortably. Lily could tell he was itching for a cigarette and was annoyed he wouldn't be able to smoke until this obligation was over.

"The label is really pushing for 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'...obviously it's your call but I think the label is right. That song is incredible" Danny answers.

"I'm cool with it if you guys are" Dave says agreeably.

"Sure, I don't have any ideas for the video right now though" Kurt says with a shrug.

"That's ok, we don't really need to know for a few weeks or so...just start thinking about it" Danny grins, writing something down on the back of a piece of paperwork.

"What if we did something with a rocket or like flying monkeys or something like that man?" Krist says and Lily snorts.

"I think it'll appeal really well to anyone even slightly into NASA or the Pixies from any age demographic" She says, sticking out her tongue at him and Krist ruffles her hair.

"Alright guys we just need a few more shots" The photographer says in a clipped tone, obviously annoyed by the interruption.

"I'm going to make a call, I'll be back" Lily says with a wave, walking into the kitchen of the house they were shooting at.

It was her sister's birthday and since they'd gotten down to LA that morning they hadn't had a chance to call her.

She checked the clock on the stove, it was about four, meaning she'd just be getting back from cheer practice.

"Hey mom, is April around?" Lily asks when her mom picks up their home phone.

"Yeah she just got back, let me call her down!" Her mom replies eagerly.

"Hey Lil, how's California?" April asks, sounding slightly out of breath.

"Good! We've only been here long enough to get lunch and go to the photo shoot." Lily says before going back to the original subject.

"Forget about that though! Happy sweet sixteen April Showers!" She squeals, and she can practically hear April rolling her eyes through the phone.

"Thanks. Its really no big deal though." She says in an embarrassed tone.

"Yes it is!" Lily persists, "What have you done to celebrate?"

"Nothing, I had cheer all day...they're really trying to get this year's orientation pep rally perfect so we've been practicing non-stop. Its so dumb, no one wants to be there anyway, they won't be paying attention to our routine"

"I can't believe they still do that stupid pep rally, literally everyone hates it...I always used to imagine that we would all like revolt and it would just be fucking chaos in there, everyone yelling and running out of the gym."

"Jesus Lily, that's a little much" April laughs.

"Hey who is on the phone?" Shout the guys from the other room.

"My sister, its her birthday" Lily shouts back.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY APRIL" They all yell while Lily and April both giggle.

"Look, I gotta run—mom and dad want to take me out to eat but thanks for calling and tell the guys thanks too" April says.

"I will, love you kiddo." Lily replies before hanging up.