Chapter 9

The phone rings at the diner on a Friday morning in late August and Lily answers it almost immediately, "Cozy Corner Restaurant and Grill what I can I do for you today?"

"Lily? Hey its Kurt" Says a voice that immediately makes Lily's heart flutter.

"Hey! How's Portland?" She asks excitedly. She hadn't heard from Kurt in days because Nirvana was touring the west coast with Sonic Youth.

Soon though, it would all be worth it. He was playing Portland tonight and then would be in Seattle by the next morning where she would meet him and go to the show later that night.

"I'm still too far away from you. It sucks" He replies honestly and she laughs.

"I miss you too. But we get to see each other so soon, only like 24 hours." She sighs and now its his turn to laugh.

"I really hope it'll be sooner than that" He replies and Lily rolls her eyes.

"Only if you skip the show in Portland..." She sighs and there's no response on the other end, "Kurt I was just kidding, obviously I know you can't miss the show that would be ridiculous—"

She stops talking when the door to the diner opens and when she looks up she can't believe her eyes.

"Kurt?!" She squeals, dropping the phone and running out from the behind the counter to greet him.

She jumps into his arms as soon as she can and he hugs her back immediately. The week Nirvana had been on the mini-west coast tour was the longest they'd spent apart the entire time they'd been together.

Before that it had only been a three-day trip Krist and him had taken to LA to meet with a lawyer and a few labels and Kurt was so bored he had called her at least twice a each day. This trip he was bonding with his idols and enjoying his most exciting tour yet, she didn't blame him but she missed him.

"How are you here?" She asks as he lets go of her.

"I lied to you about the dates, we played in Portland yesterday" He laughs as Krist and Shelli walk in too, followed by their drummer for the tour, Dale from the Melvins, "I called you a second ago from the pay phone in the parking lot."

"This asshole made me drive here at 6 am. And he made me call Ruthie last night before the show to make sure you were working" Krist calls out as he hugs Lily himself.

"Oh come on as if you didn't miss me too." Lily laughs, hugging him tightly and looking up at him with a smile.

"He missed his little sister-in-law" Shelli confirms as she kisses Lily on the cheek in greeting, "Hi Lil"

The greetings are completed when Lily hugs Dale and teases him about being back in Aberdeen when last time she saw him he swore he'd never come back because the town disgusted him.

"Honey I already cleared with Krist, you can take today and tomorrow off. You've been working nonstop all week." Ruthie says with a smile from the other side of the counter.

"You're too sweet Ruthie." Lily says giving her a quick hug before turning back to the group, "Do you guys want breakfast? Its on the house as long as all you get is eggs, toast and coffee."

They all agree and sit down at a booth while Lily puts in their order and gets them coffee.

"So how was the tour?" She asks, sliding into the booth next to Kurt and he takes her hand and squeezes it.

"So amazing Hopps, seriously we wish you could've been there" Krist says and everyone else nods.

"The people from Sonic Youth are so cool!" Kurt adds and Lily smiles, thinking back on her first conversation with Kurt in the parking lot of the diner. She had complimented him on his Sonic Youth shirt, flirted with him about how cool he was to have that on in this town. Now he was literally working with them, it was a full circle moment.