Chapter 20 (Part 1)

Hey guys! We're at about the halfway point for this story (which is crazy!) I hope you guys are enjoying it as much as I ADORE writing it!! Love all of you

A week or so into the group arriving in California, the phone rang in the 'apartment' the record label had rented for the band.

"Hello?" Lily answers. Even though it was almost noon she was the only one awake to hear it ringing, "Oh hey Butch, how are things down there?" She says to the band's producer, Butch Vig.

"Things are good, how are the boys? Still recovering from a night of debauchery I assume" He says and Lily looks over at Krist who is passed out on the floor of the kitchenette and Dave who was practically falling out of the chair he had fallen asleep in.

"Possibly a correct assumption, I don't think I'm at liberty to say." She says coyly and she can tell she made him smile.

"Alright well can you try to get them down to the studio before one today—we have a lot to do" He says, and Lily bites her lip.

"I'll try" She says in an uncertain tone and Butch laughs.

"Thanks Lil, I'll see you in a couple hours" He says and she says the same before hanging up.

She walks back into the bedroom where Kurt and her had been sleeping. She crawls into bed next to him, wrapping her arms around his waist until he stirs awake.

"Good morning baby" She whispers into his ear, kissing his temple lightly.

"Good morning" He says, rolling over so he's facing her.

"Your breath stinks" Lily says with a giggle, pretending to push him away. He kisses her before grabbing his pack of cigarettes from the nightstand.

"Its about to smell a lot better" He says, lighting a cigarette.

"Stop—you know I'm trying to quit" Lily pouts and he playfully blows smoke at her.

"Maybe one drag couldn't hurt" She sighs a few seconds later and Kurt laughs because she gave in so easily.

"You're cute" He says, taking back the cigarette and she sticks her tongue out at him.

"So did you have fun last night?" She asks, referring to a party they had all gone to the night before.

"Eh, I did but I don't know about Dave, his girlfriend was supposed to show up and didn't" Kurt mutters, tapping his cigarette into the ash tray.

"What?! She blew him off?" Lily says, shocked that anyone would ever do anything like that to someone as sweet as Dave.

"That's how she is. She's one of those LA punk chicks, she doesn't care about having a boyfriend" Kurt says, "Dave knew what he was getting into"

"I just don't like someone being rude to him—it doesn't sit well with me" Lily says with a shrug. Kurt shrugs back and continues smoking his cigarette. After a few seconds Lily asks in a small voice, "Do you wish I was more like that?"

"No." Kurt says simply, shaking his head, "I like that you're nice to me. If I wanted a punk rock girlfriend well... I don't know—I like you for you Lil"

Lily is unconvinced by the ambiguity of his reply and he can tell right away, "I love you Lily. I don't want anyone else and I don't want you to act any different"

"I love you too" She says, kissing him softly, "Now get your ass up, Butch wants you guys down to the studio in an hour." She adds teasingly, attempting to stand up but Kurt grabs her wrist and pulls her back onto the bed and on top of him.