Chapter 15

"Good afternoon Hopps" Dave says, getting up from the couch and kissing Lily on the cheek. She was just coming home from work and was very excited to see Dave, she hadn't seen him since early December.

"Good afternoon mystery man, you look like a drummer I used to know. But then he went to Virginia and I never heard from him again" She says hugging him back eagerly, "Happy New Years eve, we missed you"

"I missed you guys too" He says as she starts making a pot of coffee.

"I knew it" She says and just then Kurt wanders out of the bedroom, rubbing his eyes.

"Look who's up before the sun's gone down" Lily teases and Kurt gives her the stink eye as he greets Dave.

"Hey man how was good old Virginia?" Kurt asks, giving him a pat on the back and kissing Lily on the cheek.

"My mother or the state as a whole?" Dave asks while Lily hands him a cup of coffee.

"Both" Kurt says, as Lily sits down next to Dave and lights a cigarette.

"Both were good, I missed being home and my family a lot—and my friends back East" He says with a grin, bouncing in his seat, "This is good coffee by the way Lil"

"But I missed my roommates too, the entire time I was just begging my mom to get a giant ass turtle tank so I felt like I was home" He adds, causing everyone to laugh.

Later that night the three of them all drove up to Portland in Kurt's Datsun for Nirvana's new years eve show.

"Hello you three" Shelli calls as they walk into the backstage, waving from her spot by the bar.

"Hi Shells, happy anniversary" Lily says kissing Shelli on the cheek and giving Krist a hug.

"Thanks Lil" She says with a huge smile, "Now come on, let's get all of you a drink. I have a really good feeling about this show"

Shelli is completely right. The show is killer, Kurt even allows himself to get a little drunk and it makes him very entertaining. Once the show is over they all head to a mutual friend's house for an after party.

Lily spends much of the party getting drunk with Mark Arm and Carrie Montgomery, a couple who she'd known for years and was coincidentally close with Kurt as well. She'd originally met them when Mudhoney had once toured with Quinn's band.

If Shelli and Krist were like older siblings to Lily, Mark and Carrie were like cool, older friends who took her under their wing and taught her how to skip class and smoke cigarettes. They were guides of the music scene and adulthood for Lily in a way no one else ever was.

"So Lily, where the hell have you been? We've hardly heard from you in forever" Carrie says.

"Yeah I thought you were supposed to come to a show or something in like July but I never saw you there" Mark adds and Lily clears her throat, remembering that night in vivid detail, the night Quinn had reappeared in her life.

"Yeah I was there but I ended up having to leave before the show started" She says awkwardly, "I've been so busy I'm sorry I haven't seen you guys, its totally my fault"

"Well what have you been busy with?" Probes Mark.

"Well I moved to Olympia...to be with Kurt" She says and the look they both give her in response proves her suspicion that this is what they'd been trying to pull out of her this entire line of conversation.

"We'd heard rumors to that effect," Mark says and Lily raises her eyebrows.

"Rumors? About me? In Seattle?" She asks, feigning a shocked tone.