Chapter 30

"Oh my god, she's awake!" Lily hears as she opens her eyes. She looks up to see her parents, her sister and Kurt all standing over her.

"Dad?!" She says sleepily, "What are you doing? You should be resting!"

"Still as controlling as ever" Her mom teases, looking like she might cry at any moment.

"I'm so glad you're alright" Her sister April says, reaching out and hugging her.

"What is going on?" Lily asks, realizing she was in a bed with an IV in her arm.

"You had an accident honey" Her mom explains, grabbing her hand, "But Kurt got you to a hospital. You're going to be ok."

"What?" She says, looking at Kurt nervously as the memories from before rush to her mind.

"It was a freak accident with some pain medication. Once we got back to the hotel you took some pills for your headache and just took to many without either of us realizing." He lies, taking her hand.

"I'm just glad Kurt was so diligent, we are so thankful for him." Her dad says, patting Kurt on the back.

"Yes, thank you Kurt" Lily croaks, swallowing nervously.

"I'm just so glad you're ok" He says, leaning over and kissing her forehead.

"How long was I out?" She asks, looking up at Kurt's eyes for any sign of what he'd said to her parents.

"Not super long, its night now" Kurt says, "We've been here for a few hours, six hours to be exact."

"Am I...ok?" She asks in a quiet tone, "Will I still be able to go with the band to Europe?"

"You're fine, Kurt is right—it was a freak accident. The doctor said you can go but I don't know if that's such a good idea, its just so soon." Her mom says.

"Lily will be fine mom" April says without looking at her. Lily can tell she's pissed about the drugs but also glad she's alive.

"Don't worry about me" Lily says, feeling horrible. Her dad was just starting to return to normal life little by little, and then she makes a stupid mistake and sends her family's life in a tailspin once again.

"Alright, I see you woke up Miss Hopper" Says a man who Lily assumes is her doctor, "Your vitals look good, we can discharge you very soon, I'd just like to talk to you alone for a minute."

"What?" Asks her mom looking confused.

"Its probably just a standard talk for any sort of drug situation—even accidents. I'll be out in a minute mom" Lily says with a forced smile.

"Lets go wait in the hall, get Lily's stuff" Kurt offers awkwardly. Lily shoots him a look, trying to say with her eyes 'distract them.'

Once everyone is out of the room the doctor pulls a chair over and looks Lily in the eye.

"Miss Hopper, I know that you did not overdose on headache medication" He says seriously.

"I know you know, you're my doctor, I'd be concerned if you didn't know" Lily says with a soft smile, trying to crack a joke so she didn't have to face what he was about to talk to her about, "And call me Lily"

"You have track marks all up and down your arm and your boyfriend told the EMTs what you had been taking. Those drugs are no joke, Lily. You will die if you keep taking heroin"

"I know, I know. I'm done with drugs after this, I swear" Lily says in a somber tone, "I know you probably hear it all the time but I actually mean it."

She doesn't seem to understand the dark irony in her words. Kurt had said the same thing to her multiple times and she never believed him. But here she was, in the same position, completely believing it herself.