Chapter 14

"Are you ready?" Lily asks with a deep breath and Kurt nods.

"Yep." He says, rubbing his hands together nervously.

It was Christmas day and marked the first time Lily would be spending time with Kurt's family since she began dating him. Even though she'd known his mom and sisters for years, Kurt wasn't concerned with Lily being close with his family. He was friendly with his mom and loved his sisters a lot, but he didn't need Lily to be close with them too.

Even so, he was still slightly anxious about bringing someone new home to them. The fact that Lily had known them for years did nothing to assuage his concern, if anything it stressed him out more because he didn't know what the dynamic was between them.

They get out of the car and Kurt opens the trunk so they could grab the gifts, Lily insisted on them carrying an equal amount in so it didn't look like she was trying too hard to impress his family.

They walk up the front steps and Kurt pauses before pressing the doorbell, "Do—" He begins to ask Lily something but before he can the door swings open.

"Well, well, well Lily Hopper, its nice to see you!" Wendy squeals excitedly, immediately wrapping her in her arms and Kurt has to lunge forward to grab the presents that fell out of Lily's hands when she went in for the hug as well.

"You too Wendy!" Lily replies, hugging her tightly. She had always gotten along well with Wendy, she was younger than most of the other Aberdeen moms and had a wicked sense of humor.

"We have not seen you around here in too long darling, you should've made Kurt bring you by sooner" She frowns and Lily nods in agreement.

"Hello to you too Mom" Kurt says sarcastically, begrudgingly allowing his mom to give him a kiss on the cheek.

"I tried but he's just too bashful, didn't want to show me off" Lily teases, pretending to pinch his cheek as they walk through the threshold. Kurt swats her hand away but laughs and sticks his tongue out at her; immediately his mood is lightened upon seeing how well Lily and his mom get along.

"Everyone else is in the living room, go on in" Wendy says, guiding them through the main hallway and into the main room where a dozen or so people were milling around.

"Guys, this is Kurt's new—well girlfriend of over six months Lily" Wendy introduces her, "Some of you might know her from a few years ago when she was close with Kimberly, everyone say hi"

Everyone waves and Lily gives them her signature warm smile and waves back. Kurt silently thanked the universe that Lily was so sociable, he didn't have the energy to help her through every conversation—even after three years he had never quite felt like he was able to get his family and Tracy to warm up to one another. With Lily it would be a no-brainer; everyone loved her already.

Lily makes a beeline to Kim next, greeting her affectionately with a hug. Even after years of not being close they straightaway fall back into their old rhythm, laughing and whispering to one another.

Lily sits on the couch next to Kim and Kurt immediately sits down next to her, placing his hand on the small of her back as he says hello to Kim himself.

After a couple minutes Kurt asks his mom where his youngest sister is so Lily can meet her. Lily was excited, she hadn't seen Breanne since she was really little and she knew Kurt absolutely adored her.

"She's around here somewhere...Breanne, Kurt is here" She calls and within seconds a tiny figure is running into the room and enthusiastically into Kurt's arms.

"Kurty!" She screams in a high-pitched voice and everyone laughs.

"Hi Breanne" Kurt says, giving her a hug and a kiss, "Merry Christmas"