Chapter 16

"Hey guess who's in town?" Lily says, shaking Kurt awake on January 2nd.

"What... I mean who?" Kurt moans, angry at being woken up.

"Your friend Jesse, Jesse Reed, the one you lived with in high school. He just called" Lily says and Kurt frowns bewilderedly.

"He's in town?" He asks, rubbing his eyes and looking at the clock, "Shit Lil, its not even 10" He whines, throwing his head back onto the pillow.

"He's in Seattle for a few days and wants to know if you would drive up to see Aberdeen with him" She says, ignoring his complaints and turning on the lights, "I think you should"

"Drive up to Aberdeen? Today?" He says, still cranky about being awake.

"Yeah, I'm going to call him and say yes, you should probably go with him" She says and he groans.

"We were just up there for Christmas Lil!" He cries.

"Fine well if you won't go I'm at least going to call him back and ask him if he'd give me a ride, I want to go see my parents and there's no need to waste our gas" She says and Kurt immediately sits up.

"You want to ride alone in a car for an hour with a stranger?" He asks incredulously.

"Jesse's not a stranger, I lived in Aberdeen my whole life too you know—" Lily replies and Kurt interrupts her.

"Fine I'll go" He says, getting up and beginning to get dressed. She's rolls her eyes, she knew he was just going with because he didn't want her alone with a guy in a car for an hour to and from Aberdeen but at least he was going.

Within an hour Jesse was outside the Pear Street apartment in his rental car and Lily and Kurt were rushing out of the house to meet him.

"Hi Jesse!" Lily says enthusiastically and she gives him a hug from the backseat as Kurt takes shotgun.

"Hey man" Kurt says reservedly as he shuts the door.

"Hey guys, thanks for coming up with me" He says as he drives towards the highway.

"Of course, thanks so much for giving us a ride" Lily says politely.

The rest of the ride is spent talking about how everyone's lives have been in the years since the boys had left Aberdeen, just giving summaries of what had changed if anything, eventually though the conversation got much more ambiguous and less about concrete things than it was about ideals and hopes for the future.

"Its so beautiful out here" Lily sighs as they drive down the highway looking out at all the trees and farms.

"I know, isn't it? Sometimes I forget how much space there is out here" Jesse says, admiring the landscape as well.

"When I was little I really wanted my parents to buy a house outside town, just have a bunch of land" Lily says longingly and Kurt reaches into the back seat and squeezes her hand.

"Maybe one day I'll buy a big ranch or something out here, just for us. What about that Hopps?" He says giving her a smile so she knows he isn't completely kidding, "Just like Neil Young and Peggy"

"I'd love that" She says with a huge smile.

They continue driving until they get to town and Jesse pulls up to Lily's parents house. She was going to hang out with her parents for a few hours while Kurt went to Jesse's parents house for lunch and then they'd meet back her house.

"I love you, see you in a couple hours. Have fun guys" Lily says kissing Kurt lightly.

"Love you too" Kurt calls from the car as she walks up to the front door.