Chapter 25

Hey guys !! Thank you so much for all your kind words and votes!! It means so much ❤️ love you all
I'm really proud of how this chapter turned out, between the fact that it takes place during "the Year Punk Broke" and the happy place Kurt and Lily are in, it's one of my favorites! Please tell me what you think :)

"My god...this is..." Lily says to Kim Gordon as they watch Nirvana's set from the side stage. She was in so much shock at the reaction the band was getting for something as important as the Reading Festival.

"They're blowing up" Kim says succinctly, finishing her sentence for her.

"Exactly" Lily replies breathlessly. She looked out at the crowd, spilling over with people and full of energy, even at 11 am.

Kurt was writhing all over the stage, wrestling with Krist while half-drunk off of a combination of cough syrup and whiskey that he'd been drinking since he woke up.

Even so, Lily had never been more proud of him, as crazy as it sounded.

He was doing what he was best at and there was so no one else like him. Everyone was responding to Nirvana because their energy was so unique, their sound so original that it was enticing to audiences.

A few minutes later the band ended with a bang. Lily hugged and congratulated Dave and Krist while Kurt continued throwing his equipment at the drum kit. When he finally comes off stage he wraps his arm around Lily and pulls her with him down the stairs and off towards the tents, keeping his hair in his face the entire time.

"Can you believe that crowd?" She whispers, taking his hand in hers, "I've never seen anything like that! Kurt they were trying to grab you, I mean fuck all the way over here in Europe you get that reaction"

"Yeah I guess so" Kurt shrugs, his mind on finding another drink. Once he grabs a beer they go back to the circular catering tent tables.

Lily sits between him and Dave, the three of them laughing about something Krist had done while on stage earlier.

"Hey its Markey!" Lily yells, referring to Dave Markey, a cameraman making a documentary about Sonic Youth's tour. Markey had just walked in holding a camera, ready to film all of them hanging out.

She, Kurt and Dave (Grohl) wave and look away as soon as possible. Lily liked Markey as a person but never knew how to act when the camera was on her.

"Hey its Markey!" Repeats Thurston Moore, pelting the camera with bread that catering had left out for them. Then he once again begins acting as though there was no camera in the room, he was better at it than anyone else was.

"I would like some Nirvana with my nachos please!" He yells to a passing catering worker as Kurt gets up to use the bathroom.

"Is Ms. Finch here yet?" Asks Kim and Dave shrugs and taps the ash off his cigarette. She was referring to Jennifer Finch, Dave's girlfriend and a member of L7.

"I don't think so, but someone saw Courtney today" He replies, "Jennifer is travelling with her"

"Yeah we ran into Court yesterday, I think she's with Billy" Kim replies coolly, exchanging a look with Thurston.

"Is that a bad thing?" Lily asks curiously, knowing she was being nosy but also knowing they all know her well enough not to care. Her and Kim had bonded a lot since the tour began.

"Not necessarily...well...Billy has a girlfriend back in Chicago and I don't think she really knows about Courtney" Kim says with pursed lips. Lily purses hers as well, she isn't exactly surprised to hear that girlfriends aren't deal breakers for Courtney.