Chapter 19

After the tour Lily and Kurt went back to Olympia to get back to a little bit of normalcy, though they wouldn't be there for long. Nirvana was leaving soon for LA to record their album and lately Kurt had been hell bent on getting Lily to come with them, even though she still wasn't convinced it was a good idea.

"Hey my love, how are you feeling?" Lily asks one morning and Kurt gives her an exhausted grin.

"I feel like I just woke up, how do you feel?" He asks.

"I feel good but I'm not the one with chronic pain...so your stomach's ok?" She asks and he nods, laughing this time.

"Yes, I'll be fine for your sister's thing I promise" He says and Lily smiles in a relieved way, "Stop worrying Lil"

"I know its just the last time my family will see you before you go to LA to make the record—it means a lot to them that you're coming before you go. They won't get to see you for a month"

"The last time they'll see both of us Lil, remember?" He says with an eyebrow raised, "Have you talk to work yet about quitting?"

"Not yet" Lily sighs, "We still need the money Kurt, your share of the record advance is hardly enough for us to live on"

"We'll be fine Lil, you're the one who keeps telling us this record's going to be huge" He reminds her.

"And I believe that, but even though its on a major its not going to be big enough for my income to be unnecessary—especially paying the rent during the tour" She counters.

Before he can respond she follows up, "Let's not talk about this right now. I'll talk to my boss about my options during my next shift."

"Thank you." He says, slightly smugly.

"Alright I should probably go, April wants me to do her makeup for her before she goes on. She's so nervous! I think a scout from a dance school in San Francisco is coming down to see her." Lily says excitedly, "Don't forget you're meeting us at the house at 1." She adds, giving him one last kiss.

"Alright, I love you. See you in a few hours, wish April good luck for me" Kurt calls as she walks towards the door.

"I love you too" Lily says, blowing him a kiss, "I'll tell her you said that"

A few hours later a very anxious Lily was sitting at her family's house. It was 1:30 and Kurt still hadn't shown up, her sister's show started in barely half an hour.

"What about your roommate?" Asks Lily's mom.

"No he's already down in LA so he can see his girlfriend. Plus he would've answered the phone if he was home." Lily mutters shaking her head, "I'll call Krist to be safe but I'm sure Kurt's just having car trouble or something. He's such a slow driver."

She calls Krist and Shelli's and explains the situation quickly before hanging up, turning to her family and saying with a sigh,

"Honestly he knows where the recital is and what time it starts, he'll probably just meet us there. We have to go anyway" She says, checking the kitchen clock anxiously.

"Fine sweetie but lets write a note and leave it at the door just in case, we don't want him to just think we abandoned him when he drove all this way" Her mother says, grabbing a stack of post-its from the counter.

Lily spends the time leading up to the recital checking her watch and entrance in an almost obsessive way, praying she'd see Kurt walk in—at this point she was so worried.

When the time came for the recital to start there was no sign of him and even at intermission there was still no Kurt. Immediately after the intermission April's showcase would begin, the whole reason they were supposed to come in the first place.