32. Into the Black Lake

February 1995

Winter was nearly over.  The sun was popping out a whole lot more and the days were sometimes warmer than they had been in the last two months.  The sky still spewed snow now and again, but not nearly as often as it had in January.

Sasha had been on edge a lot lately.  She and Severus didn't get to see each other much anymore.  They were too busy trying to watch over Harry and find out, once and for all, who had put his name into the Goblet of Fire. But she still remembered those two special nights they shared every second she had free.  When they did manage to get time alone, they were both so tired that they usually went to their separate offices and retired early, just to start all over again the next day.  Even Sasha, who didn't have to sleep at all, found herself getting under the cover just to rest her eyes and body.

If that wasn't enough, the second task of the Triwizard Tournament was drawing nigh and Harry's nightmares seemed to be getting worse.  He was having them more frequently and subconsciously crying out.  Sasha responded to every one.  It was only the second week of the month and she had already had to orb into his room three times because of the pain his scar was causing him.  He kept insisting it was nothing, but Sasha didn't believe him.

"The next time you have a nightmare, Harry, and your scar hurts like that, I want you to go talk to Dumbledore," she'd told him.  "There may be more to it than what you would think."

"I will," Harry had promised.

Satisfied with his answer, Sasha waited until he fell back asleep and orbed back out, leaving him alone.

The very next day after that was the day of the second task.  Dumbledore called Sasha and Severus to his office to explain what was going on and what they had taken for the champions to fetch.  Once they were briefed, Dumbledore told them that the three of them were going to meet up with Barty Crouch and Alastor Moody in the lobby just in front of the main entrance to the castle.

"Good day, all," Barty greeted them as they approached.  He rubbed his hands together nervously.  "I hope this task goes as well for all of our champions as the first."

"Me too," Dumbledore confessed.

"And who is this fine young woman?"

Dumbledore glanced back.  Sasha raised her eyebrows.  They had all forgotten about the plan to hide her identity from the Ministry of Magic.  Sasha extended her hand anyway as she stepped forward, praying he wouldn't recognize her as the Death Eater she once was.  He shouldn't.  The only ones that really knew her were those who were members of the Order of the Phoenix.

"I'm Sasha."

"I don't believe we've met before.  Although, I've seen you around Hogwarts, " Barty said thoughtfully.  "You must be the Whitelighter the Minister was telling me about that he saw last year.  He never saw your face, said you orbed out before he could meet you.  He seemed mighty glad to have your extra protection here at the castle though.  He reckons we need all the good help we can get."

"I'd say we do," she told him.

"Oh, where are my manners?  I'm Bartemius Crouch."

"I know who you are.  It is nice to meet you."

"Can we just get this show on the road?" Alastor asked impatiently.  "If we don't get down there soon, the task is going to start without us."

Barty smiled.  "Of course.  I will lead the way."

Sasha breathed a sigh of relief.  He didn't seem to know her.  That was an extremely good thing.  Severus pretended to wipe his brow, relieved himself that it had gone well.  She smiled at him.  She grabbed his hand and squeezed it, then let it go right away.  She didn't want to press her luck.