61. The Truth Hurts

Severus apparated straight to Malfoy Manor. He figured it was the new base of operations, as it had been in the past, and he was right. There was a table nearly a mile long in the middle of the living room. Draco was safe in Narcissa's arms. She smiled when Severus entered, silently thanking him for what he did for her. There were chairs lined down the table and one at the head. It was occupied by Voldemort.

"Ah, Severus!" he said with a delighted sneer. "You have taken care of my pesky little problem for me. I knew Draco wouldn't be able to do it. You have truly proven yourself."

Severus bowed to him. "Thank you, my lord."

Voldemort motioned to the chair right beside of him. "Please sit. We must discuss further strategies. But first things first. What about the Whitelighter, the one you have been toying with?"

"She was broken when I left her. She need not worry you. Unfortunately, I did not have the resources to kill her. I was forced to leave her unharmed."

"You broke her pathetic little heart," Bellatrix spoke up. She squealed with delight. "That was enough to kill her right there."

Severus cringed slightly. He didn't want to hear it. He knew she was crushed and it was killing him inside. He was broken and crushed, just as he knew Sasha was.

Voldemort's high, cold laughter rang throughout the room. "She will die eventually if she refuses to join me. I have recruited demons and Darklighters for the final war. There is no way she will be able to fight all of them and survive." He turned to Severus, who was silently panicking. "I have something else in mind for you, my faithful servant. Since you are acquainted with the place, I thought you would do well to take it over. Of course there are some things that have to happen first. We have to figure out a way to take over the Ministry of Magic. Once that happens, we will appoint you as the new Headmaster of Hogwarts. How poetic will it be for you to replace the man you've just killed."

He took a deep breath. "I would be honored, my lord."

"I will send the Carrows to assist you in keeping everyone in line."

Severus nodded.

"But before we can take on the Ministry, we must deal with Harry Potter. He will die soon, my friends. And I will be the one to do it." He sighed with anticipation. "Go home. All of you. Get your rest. You will need it. I have to free some of my warriors from Azkaban. The war has officially begun."

Voldemort rose and left the room. He walked toward the back of the house. They all watched to make sure he had gone before any of them moved.

The Death Eaters all got up and scattered once they heard the familiar pop of apparation. Most just disapparated, others used the door. Severus rose from his chair in no particular hurry. Narcissa hurried over to him and kissed him gratefully on the cheek.

"Thank you so much. You saved my boy's life. The vow is now fulfilled. If there's ever anything you need-"

Severus raised his hand to stop her. "You owe me nothing, Narcissa." He gave her a nod. "I must be on my way."

Bellatrix snarled at him as he left, but he paid her no mind. She was of no importance to him whatsoever. He waited until he was just outside the iron gates before he disapparated. He reappeared right in the street in front of his home. Severus used his wand to unlock the door. He didn't care about anything right now. All he wanted to do was get inside. He ducked in and shut the door in a hurry behind him. He magically lit his fireplace and tucked the wand into his robes. He would need to keep it on him now that everything had went south.

Severus rubbed his hands down his face. He was feeling so much at once that it was hard to know what would happen if he didn't remain as reserved as possible. He prayed that Sasha had read the letter he'd left her by now and that she realized that this wasn't easy for any of them. He wondered if she was okay, if the Order would blame her for what had happened. It was likely that they would. At least maybe Harry would understand though. Once he saw the memories he left Sasha to show him, he would know why things happened the way they did. But he would never know. He couldn't see either of them, except maybe Sasha, in any peace. And that was only if he was at his house. That would be the only place that wouldn't be surrounded by Darklighters and demons. The addition of them to Voldemort's army worried him most of all. What would happen if she died before they had the chance to get married and have the life they always dreamed of? He would go mad. No doubt about that.