71. Amends

The journey was longer than he expected.  Harry weighed less than a feather, it seemed, lying there in his arms.  Severus didn't bother to watch where he walked.  Only when he felt an obstacle beneath his feet did he look to see what it was.  The rest of the time, his eyes were on Harry's face.  He had walked this path a hundred times and he knew where he was going.  Harry was so young, and he had given his life to save him.  To save all of them.  Tears welled in his eyes.  It was the kind of courage most witches and wizards never experienced in their entire lifetime, little long when they were seventeen.

When he made it up to the courtyard, Severus stopped to take a breath.  The sight before him was a grisly one.  The beautiful stone structure he had called home for so many years was destroyed.  The courtyard fixtures were in pieces.  Blood littered the ground.  It was a ghastly sight.  But that wasn't what had his stomach tied in knots.  All of that stuff, bothered him, yes, but not as bad as what he was about to do.  He was about to walk into a sea of witches and wizards who believed he was a Death Eater with Harry Potter dead in his arms.  It was suicide.  Still he had to get him to safety.  He took a deep breath.  He hoped Ron and Hermione were inside.  At least they knew his true allegiance and maybe they wouldn't let anyone kill him.  Tears stung his eyes as he used wandless magic to make the entrance to the castle open.  He tightened his grip on Harry and walked inside.

At first no one acknowledged him.  The bodies of those who had given their lives for the sake of the war were lying everywhere.  Madame Pomfrey and other staff members were busily taking care of the wounded.  Severus swallowed hard.  No one had noticed him yet.  He stopped in the middle of the room.  It was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop.  He was about to clear his throat, to demand their attention.  Then it happened.  A horrified screech filled the air.

Minerva McGonagall was standing a good distance from him, her eyes wide in shock.  The sound had come from her.  It wasn't long before every eye in the room was on Severus and every wand was drawn.  Severus tightened his grip on Harry, but he didn't move.

"How dare you show your face in here!" Minerva cried.

"I-I had to bring him back," Severus stammered.  It was the first time he had ever felt nervous about being in her presence, but her eyes were wild.  She looked absolutely livid.  And who could blame her?

He saw Ginny Weasley stand up and look at him, her face distorted in pain.  She didn't seem angry at him.  She just stared at the body lying so snug in his arms.  He stared at her apologetically.  He wished there was something he could have done to console her right there in that moment because he knew that she loved Harry with all of her heart.  Severus could see it in her eyes.

She looked down, apparently just noticing for the first time that he was carrying Harry.  She gasped.  "No!  You-  Harry!"  She rushed up to Severus, her expression angry and sad.  "Put him down!"

He quickly scanned the room.  He finally found Ron and Hermione together huddled near George and his parents, Ginny, and Fred's body.  His expression darkened.  How many others had died?  He moved toward them, but Minerva blocked his path.  She pointed her wand at him firmly.

"She said put him down."

He saw Ron rise.  Hermione sat awkwardly still.  Ginny was crying, but silent.  She was still staring at Harry's body. 

"Ron!" Molly cried.  "Where are you going?"

"To get my best friend," he answered.

She tried to talk him out of it, to pull him back, but he wouldn't let her.

Severus's eyes remained on him as he walked up to him.  No one else in the room dared to move.  He stopped just in front of him and Severus gently handed Harry over.