36. Everything's Changed

Severus went immediately to Gryffindor tower.  He wasn't sure how he was going to get inside to see Ron and Hermione.  After all, he didn't have the password.  He stood outside the portrait for a moment, unsure of what to do.  Then the opportunity presented itself.  The portrait swung open and Neville Longbottom stepped out.  He froze when he saw him, like he had just been caught red-handed doing something he knew he wasn't supposed to be doing.  He tried to slip past Severus without making eye contact.

"Mr. Longbottom, what's your hurry?" he asked him.

Neville stopped dead in his tracks.  It was a well known fact now since last year when he faced the Boggart that he was afraid of Professor Snape.  He slowly turned around, gulping.  "I-I was going to the library."

"What could you possibly want from there?  You're going home tomorrow."

"My curiosity is about a plant that I saw a picture of," Neville explained.  "It's been driving me a little mad, and, well seeing as how I couldn't sleep-" he paused, sighing.  "Am I in trouble, Professor?"

Much to Neville's surprise, Severus said, "No.  I just need your assistance for a moment."

"M-Mine?  Uh, sure.  What do you need?"

"I need you to go back inside the Gryffindor Common Room and get Mr. Weasley and Ms. Granger for me."

"Yes, sir."

Neville hurried back over to the portrait.  For some stupid reason he whispered the password and the door opened immediately.  He disappeared inside.  He was only gone a few minutes before the portrait opened back up.  This time, Hermione and Ron came out with him.  They had confusion written all over their faces and worry.

"Thank you, Longbottom.  You may go to the library now."

Neville nodded and hurried away, clearly glad to be out of Severus's presence.  Severus glanced at Ron and Hermione, who were staring at him expectantly.

"I suppose you're wondering why I wanted to see you at such a late hour?"

"Well, actually yeah," Ron muttered.  "I was getting ready to lie down."

"Don't lie to me, Mr. Weasley.  I know you're worried about Potter."

"Of course we are," Hermione confirmed.  "He's our best friend."

"Potter is the reason I have come to get you.  He wishes to see you before he retires for the night."  Severus sighed.  "So, if you don't mind, follow me."

"Where is he, Professor?" Hermione questioned.

"In my office with Sasha."

Neither of them said anything else until they were down in the Dungeons and the door was open to the office.  Severus walked in behind them.  Harry was sitting at his desk, which didn't bother him at the moment.  He had other things on his mind.  Sasha was sitting on top of the desk talking to him.  Severus cleared his throat to get her attention.  When she looked up at him, he motioned for her to follow him out into the hallway.  Sasha hopped down off the desk and told Ron and Hermione to make themselves comfortable.  They gathered around Harry like the furry forest creatures around Snow White.  They immediately started to question him about the events of the night, what had happened and if the rumors floating around about him fighting Voldemort were true.  Sasha sighed as she followed Severus out of the office and closed the door tight behind her.

Severus took a deep breath before her said anything.  "I wanted to tell you before I left."

"Where are you going?" Sasha asked with a frown.