51. Cursed

When Sasha and Severus became solid again, they were inside of Dumbledore's office. They looked around frantically, but they didn't see him. Sasha could no longer feel any pain, which wasn't good...in a way. It could mean one of two things: that he was dead or that it had simply subsided. She really hoped it was the latter.

"What do you think is causing him so much pain, Sasha?"

"Was causing him pain. I can't sense it anymore."

"I thought he was here," Severus said, his voice panicked.

"He is here," Sasha insisted. "I sensed him here." She walked hastily around the room. She cupped her hands over her mouth so the sound of her voice would carry. She had never noticed before how vast the office actually was. "Albus!" She headed up to the second level looking around.

"Maybe he's unconscious," Severus suggested. He decided to inspect his desk. He obviously wasn't sitting there though. He walked over to it. His eyes widened as they rested on a hand. Albus's hand. He was unconscious and he was laying on the floor just down in front of his chair. He was hidden sort of under his desk, which explained why they hadn't seen him right away. Severus concluded that he must have fallen or slid out of it. "Sasha, I've got him! He's here! At the desk."

Sasha peeked down over the banister from the upper level. Severus was moving the chair out of the way. Sure enough, Albus was crumpled under the small space at his desk and his arm was laying out from it. It was the only thing visible. Sasha hurried back down the stairs. Severus had already dragged Albus out into the open. He was laying flat on his back now, Severus on the floor beside him, by the time Sasha hit her knees. She hurriedly held her hands over the top of Dumbledore and prayed they weren't too late. They lit up with a heavenly light so bright that Severus squinted his eyes, but Dumbledore wasn't stirring. Severus noticed this too and his pulse quickened. Had somebody already beat Draco to the punch? Curious, he felt for a pulse. He sighed in relief. It was faint, but it was there.

"It's not working!" Sasha exclaimed. She examined her hands closely. They looked okay.

"He's still alive, but only just," Severus reported. "If I knew what was wrong I could help. I just wish I knew- suddenly his voice trailed off. He had just laid eyes on Albus's other hand. He hadn't noticed it before. Three of his fingers were as black as coal and there was a golden ring on it he instantly recognized. He had seen it on Voldemort's finger at one point and time. "Never mind. I do know."

Sasha frowned. "Severus, what's going on?"

He gazed over at her, his expression grim. "Albus has been cursed. That ring," he said pointing to it. "It was Voldemort's. Get it off of him. Be careful. And whatever you do, do not let it slip on your finger in any way, do you understand me?" He took out his wand and started muttering an incantation Sasha had never heard before.

Sasha nodded. She grabbed Dumbledore's blackened hand and carefully took off the ring just like Severus had instructed. She placed it on Dumbledore's desk above them. Sasha laid his hand back down gently, but not before studying it. It was only the three fingers closest to the ring that had been blackened.

"Is he going to be alright?" Sasha asked.

But Severus didn't answer her. He was still busy chanting. Sasha chewed her bottom lip. Dumbledore still didn't show any signs of recuperating. Beads of sweat were starting to form on Severus's forehead. He had seen this curse before. It was relentless and it would spread. If only they had gotten there as quickly as it happened! He could have done more, bought more time.

Suddenly Albus drew in a sharp breath. Sasha jumped, startled by the abrupt noise. His eyes slowly fluttered open. He looked so frail lying there on the floor. He groaned and tried to sit up on his own, but he wasn't getting anywhere. Sasha grabbed his arm and pulled to help him sit up. Severus immediately stopped chanting and helped her. He sat there for a moment. His eyes wandered from Sasha to Severus. He managed to crack a small smile.