34. The Third Task

May 1995

Dumbledore kept his promise.  Sasha noticed that for the past few months, he had been keeping Alastor closer to him than ever.  He claimed he wanted to spend more time with his old friend much to Moody's reluctance.  He didn't protest.  They were sitting together when Sasha and Severus approached them in the stadiums.  The third task was about to begin and there were some things Dumbledore said he had wanted to discuss with the two of them before things officially kicked off.  They sat down beside of the Headmaster and the ex-Auror quietly.  He beamed at them radiantly.

"I'm glad the two of you finally made it," he said peering over his half-moon spectacles.  "I asked you to come early because I wanted to explain to you how this is going to work."

Severus raised an eyebrow curiously.  "Work?  I thought we weren't allowed to interfere."

"All you will be doing is patrolling the perimeter of the maze the champions will be going into.  The Triwizard cup has already been placed in the maze.  It's a Portkey and the first one to touch it will be transported right there," he said pointing the the clearing of grass in the middle of the semi-circular stadium.  

Sasha took a deep breath.  "And who placed the cup in the maze?"

Alastor grinned at her.  "I did.  No worries.  Dumbledore was right there with me."

The Headmaster nodded to corroborate his story.  That made Sasha feel a little bit better.  At least he was there when the cup was placed in the maze.  He couldn't have done anything to it, could he?

"Anything else you need us to know?" Severus asked curiously. 

"No.  That's about it."

"Great," Sasha said, standing.  "I promised Harry I would walk him down here in time for the task.  He said he wanted me to be by his side in case-"

"In case what?" Severus asked.  Sasha hadn't said anything to him about this conversation yet.

She smiled.  "In case...something happens to him," she finished sadly.

"Nothing is going to happen to him," he said firmly.  And Sasha could have sworn he glanced in Moody's direction when he said it.  She suppressed a grin.

"Well you and I had better get going, Severus."

He gazed up at Sasha, frowning in confusion.  "We?"

"He wanted you to be there as well."

Severus stood.  "Let's not keep him waiting then."  He nodded to Dumbledore.  "I will see you later."

"Right before I send you into the maze," Dumbledore said.

"Constant vigilance!" Alastor exclaimed with a mad grin.

Sasha and Severus looked at each other and laughed.  Not at Moody, but at Dumbledore.  It was the first time that either of them had seen the Headmaster roll his eyes in annoyance.

~ * ~

Harry was waiting in the corridor in front of the portrait to the Gryffindor Common Room when Sasha and Severus found him.  Ron and Hermione were there with him.

Seeing the two of them walking up together, Hermione nudged Ron.  "We're going to go ahead and go down, Harry."  She kissed him on the cheek.  "Good luck."

"Thanks," Harry said nervously.

Hermione and Ron left.  Sasha smiled as they passed by her, but neither of them smiled back.  She frowned.

"I didn't know you were here," Harry said as she and Severus walked up.  "I wondered why Ron and Hermione left so quickly."

"Harry, what did you tell them?"