73. A Life for a Life

The moment they materialized in the Heavens, Sasha broke free from Sirius's grasp. It was him who had held onto her, knowing that if he let go she would not orb up there with the rest of them. He had known her long enough to know that she had a stubborn streak.

"I cannot believe this!" Sasha yelled. She was angry. Dangerously enraged more than she ever had been.

"The others made the decision," Lily said gently. "We were outvoted. We didn't want this. I know how close you and Severus are. I know how he feels for you. It's not that hard to see."

"Then send me back," Sasha cried. "Just send me back."

"We can't," James told her. "You have to stay up here until you're needed again."

She shook her head in disbelief, tears still rolling down her cheeks. "So you just expect me to stay up here and watch from afar, watch while Severus and Harry fall apart? I don't think so. There has to be a way."

Sirius frowned. "There is no way. Trust me. I would love to remain a Whitelighter. But my powers were temporary. Once I got back into that lighted door, I become just a spirit again."

"Speaking of that," Lily said, "it's time for you to go, Sirius."

Sasha walked over and gave him a hug despite the fact that she wanted to punch a hole through something. "It was good to see you again."

"You too. It was good just to pick up a wand again. I'll see you again someday, Sasha."

He smiled sadly as he walked into the light and disappeared.

"I'm sorry this has to happen," James said.

Sasha face distorted in pain. "I know you are."

Lily walked over and wrapped her arms around her sister. "I can feel how much your heart is breaking, Sasha. I wish things were different."

"Me too," Sasha said, kissing Lily on the cheek.

James smiled sympathetically at her as Lily rejoined him. They said their goodbyes and then turned and walked into the same light Sirius had disappeared into. That left Cassius and Fred standing there.

"Fred, you will remain able to communicate with your family from time to time and you will be an active Whitelighter much like Sasha was," Cassius told him.

Fred frowned. "Was?"

He stared straight at Sasha when he responded. "She won't be a Whitelighter anymore. You are going to take her place. For now you can go back down and inform everyone there. You will be their new healer."

"But won't that tip the balance of power?"

Cassius shook his head. "No. As long as there is no more than one."

Fred frowned. "Then let Sasha take my place. My family is strong. They have each other. Severus and Harry-"

He cut him off. "No, Fred. It has to be this way."

He seemed thoroughly defeated. She walked over and wrapped her arms around him tightly.

"Thanks for trying, Fred. But I wouldn't have let you give up a chance to be with your family even if Cassius had said yes. I love you too much for that." She pulled away and kissed him on the cheek. They were both crying. "Go."

Sasha's face distorted in even more pain as Fred disappeared. A cry so deep escaped her lungs that it made her chest hurt. She fell to her knees. She didn't have the strength to stand anymore. "How could you do this?" she accused. "How could you let me get so close and then rip it all away?"