three

Vera was surprised that she was put with a partner in transfigurations. It was one of her best subjects and Mcgonagall usually let her work ahead and alone. Getting paired up with Sirius Black was an even larger surprise. Not just the fact that she was a Slytherin and he a Gryffindor but just the alarming amount of rumours surrounding the two and the angst between the two families that goes back centuries. She assumed that everyone thought that Sirius Black and she were enemies. Everyone except herself, and Mcgonagall apparently. Vera had nothing against the Gryffindor ladies man, she actually quite admired him for standing up to his families values and moving in with Potter's. She was even more impressed when she discovered he was an illegal animagus along with his other friends. All in all, Vera found Sirius intriguing on all levels and was quite looking forward to the project.

As she was cleaning up the classroom, as soon as the bell had rung and the class was dismissed she heard a cry of despair. She, however, did not turn around as it was most likely not directed towards her, and there were many others still lingering in the classroom.

It wasn't until Vera noticed that the transfiguration classroom had become void of noise besides the clacking of heals coming closer to her that she knew that it was just her and Professor Mcgonagall left. She was about to leave the classroom, finished with her tidying when the professor spoke up, "I hope you don't mind being put with Sirius Black, I was informed by Dumbledore that the rumours of your feud were fabricated. From your lack of protest to this pairing, I assume I was correct." To which Vera replied, "I have no issue with the pairing professor, whatever you think is best," and left without another word.

Mcgonagall was left once again stunned by the girl's refinement and civility that is shown simply from the difference between her own reaction and the boys. In all her years a Slytherin had not ever been that content with working with a Gryffindor just because her professor said so. Vera White was exceptional. Professor Mcgonagall could only hope that the pairing matures into something great, and does not blow up in her face.

As Vera walked to her next class which was charms with Professor Flitwick, she was lost in her own world. She had not seen the black haired boy shoving the red-haired Gryffindor towards her until she felt a body collide with her own. Vera quickly turned to see what had happened but just saw two boys running down the hall, one looking to be chasing the other. When she heard a grunt beside her she looked and saw the 'Hogwarts Golden Girl', Lily Evans. A girl Vera had a great veneration for, and quite liked despite their obvious differences.

Vera quickly stood up and offered a hand to the huffing and very hostile looking Lily Evans and gave a quick smile, fake or not she was just trying to ease the tension that the two boys left the girls in.

The two girls continued to stare at each other when they both looked down to find their school supplies scattered across the floor. Both girls in flurry of actions began to pickup anything they thought was theirs. It wasn't until both girls checked their watches and realized the time that they just simply glanced at each other and ran in opposite directions, Vera to charms, and Lily to divination.