nineteen

Vera stayed after class, she told Lily to leave without her and approached Professor Slughorn. "Professor? May I speak with you and HeadMaster Dumbledore before heading to dinner? I have an question."

"Yes my dear, I have time, we shall have to check with Albus though, he might be busy."

Both of them walked towards Dumbledores office, when they approached the gargoyle Slughorn said, "lemon suckles" and gestures for Vera to follow.

"Ah Ms White, what can I help you with?"

"Professor Dumbledore, Professor Slughorn, I was wondering if on full moons, we could put Remus' to sleep with the Draught of Living Death potion . Just for the next few so we can gather information from his werewolf body, that could tell what needs to be contributed to the potion to make it stronger. If we also made the antidote, we could just wake him up the next morning."

Professor Dumbledore was stunned, the extraordinary length this girl was going was incredible and impressive, he never thought of that.

"I will allow it as long as the Marauders are there as well just incase, and Professor Slughorn approves of both the potion and the antidote."

"Sir are you letting the Marauders know of my involvement is best? They might not trust a Slytherin." Vera was worried the boys might think she would try to turn Remus in or even have him killed.

"Have faith my dear, Remus will vouch for you. Come up here after dinner during your free period with the boys. I know you were planning on doing your transfigurations assignment with Sirius" Vera didn't even ask how he knew about he partnership or the assignment and let it go. "But I believe this meeting might help with the assignment as well by getting to know each other. Or simply letting him know that you know more about him then you let on."

"Yes Professor, thank you Professor's. See you in the Great Hall." Vera exited quickly, not wanting the two men to take back their decision.

Vera entered the Great Hall ten minutes into dinner. Everyone had already started eating, conversation had already begun, yet eyes still trailed on her as she came through the doors.

Vera had to let the boys know to meet her at Dumbledore's office after dinner. She could easily send a first year, however that might make the other Slytherins mad. So her only option was going over there herself. She slowly walked, trying to go inconspicuously, however for Vera White that was near impossible. When she finally reached the boys two of them had bread sticks up their noses and the other two had carrots sticking out of their ears. All the fun however came to a stop as Vera approached. By the time Vera got to the exact place they were sitting, the boys no long had food in weird holes, but they did have it all over their robes and pants. With pride they sat back straight, chin high looking as if they didn't look like they just walked out of a food fight with a baby.

Vera stared, contemplating whether to address the obvious food or just say what she needed to say. She stuck with the latter. "Professor Dumbledore would like to speak with you four and I after dinner in his office, if you walk with me there, I already know the password." She gave the boys a brief smile and a nod,"that is all."

The boys didn't eat anything else. They were all to worried. What would Dumbledore want to talk to them about, with Vera especially? Remus was thinking the worst, the only thing that the Vera and the Marauders has in common besides the transfiguration assignment was him. So with plausible deduction Remus knew it was about him.

As they walked to the office, the boys were noticeable slowing down, like if they went slow enough they wouldn't make it in time. Vera however did not have the patients for their ridiculous charades, "okay it is not that bad, now move you bloody idiots!"

Begrudgingly the boys followed Vera into the office. "Ah boys and Vera, took you a while I was worried you got lost." Dumbledore chuckled to himself, "now the reason you are all here is because the full moon is coming up and we want to change things this time."

"Wait why is Vera here?" James asked.

"Who is we?" Sirius said at the same time.

"Vera White is a very special girl, boys. Very bright indeed," Vera couldn't help but shy away. "She found out about Remus' lycanthropy in first year, a few full moons in. As soon as she found out she began taking notes for him when he missed class, when that wasn't enough, she came to Madam Pince and I about a salve that could heal injuries faster. Vera then decided to make it and then sent it the next full moon along with the notes via her owl to your dorms windowsill. Still Vera researched and experimented, and inquired with Professor Slughorn about a potion that could allow Remus to stay mentally human inside during the shift. She could not make it permanent but it worked for the time being. With the potion Vera would go to the Shrieking Shack, and stay with Remus every full moon and still send the notes with extra salve just in case the potion wore off. Miss Vera White here," Dumbledore gestured to Vera with his hand causing all the boys in the room to look at her if they weren't already, and stare. "sat with Remus until you boys found out in fifth year and became illegal animagus." The boys were silent, so Dumbledore continued, "That owl that arrives the day after the full moon with notes, salve, and chocolate every month without fail is Apus, Ms White's personal owl."