eleven

"Plus they're so small and cute" she added moments after. Which is true, Vera found that most Hufflepuffs were simply adorable, not to be underestimated as they were also very skilled, but wonderful non the less.

It was silent for a few beats, until Remus spoke up, deciding to change the topic. "So Vera do you enjoy being a prefect? I hate the nightly patrols."

"Yes the nightly patrols are a pain. I tried turning the position down, but Dumbledore would not let me. It was either me or let Dolores Umbridge have the role by default. And no one wanted that wench in a place of power especially not Slughorn."

"Dolores is a bloody nightmare" Remus responded, "I would take Snape over Umbridge any day."

While the other boys seemed to disagree with anyone being worse than Snivellus. They could not deny that Umbridge was a close second to being the worst things to ever come upon Hogwarts.

"And how about you Remus, was your father happy? I hear he is continuing his work in Boggarts and is considered an expert now. Perhaps you could learn some tricks from him to tame Peeves a bit. Wouldn't that be great?"

Most of the group was surprised that Vera knew of Remus' family. Remus and Vera however did not notice the questioning looks and Remus answered, "yes he was ecstatic, especially under the circumstances and Dumbledore has been very understanding with nightly patrols. You're right, I should ask my father about poltergeists, maybe then Peeves will stop being a pain in the arse!"

"How do you know about Remus' family Vera?" Lily asked innocently, curious on how the girl knew something about someone she had just met.

Vera did not know how to answer that, she could say she knew something about everyone. But that's a tad bit creepy. She could say that they're families knew each other. But her mother never left the house. She did not know what to say so she stuck with," I read about his father in the Daily Prophet." It was a safe response.

"Oh alright, well what about your family were they proud that you were a prefect?" Lily asked, just as the words were leaving her mouth she could see Sirius' head shaking violently. He was trying to stop her from bringing up family.

Vera took the question head on, "My father is dead, my mother is not around a lot, and I am last of the White line. My house elf Winkle was quite proud though."

The table was once again silent. Vera did not notice that her blunt nature and lack of emotions with her response had an affect on them.

"Oh Merlin, I am so sorry. I had no idea that your father was dead. Oh no I mean not with us anymore? Oh uh passed away?" Lily was rambling.

Vera giggled. She just couldn't help it. Lily was so headstrong yet so shy when it came to offending people. "Lils, it's fine I never knew him."

Sirius had never felt so jealous. Lily had gotten a nickname. He wanted one, he wanted to be on that level with Vera. He wanted to be anywhere with Vera. Anywhere at all.