ten

It was quite awkward at the table. Hesitantly James spoke up, "so how's your Hogsmeade trip been ladies?" Lily just looked to Vera. "Quite well thank you James", Vera answered, "and yours?"

"Oh fabulous we have already made a trip to Zonko's and got a lot of prank supplies for the upcoming prank we are planning on the Slyth—mppphh." James was silenced. All three boys just glared at James until he realized what've was just about to say to a Slytherin prefect.

"I mean the harmless prank we were planning on pulling on Ravenclaw! Yeah! Did I say Slytherin, my we would never!" James kept rambling on, not realizing that Vera did not mind a harmless prank. She didn't expect any less of the Marauders.

Remus, Peter, and Sirius were beginning to panic. Prongs just would not shut up. Lily was beginning to think that he was going to scare off her new friend. All four people were about to jump in when Vera spoke up, "James, I get it, you hate Slytherin, just no lasting damage or harm to the first years and we will be fine." The Marauders just stared at her in awe.

"Are you serious?" They all piped up.

"No he is."

If they weren't all astonished before, that comment caused all five jaw to drop. Vera White made a joke.

Vera herself thought she was quite funny, people were just never around to see it. She made puns to herself constantly so in her brain what she said was not out of the ordinary.

Sirius was about to inquire something when Vera saw some third year Hufflepuffs being harassed by some fifth year Slytherins and excused herself from the table.

They all watched in wonder as Vera harmlessly hexed the Slytherins and fixed the injuries of the Hufflepuffs without a second thought. She then inquired if they were alright, when they confirmed they were in fact okay. She just walked back to the table.

Conversation did not resume for a few awkward moments. The Gryffindors were just bubbling, they wanted to ask Vera why she defended the Hufflepuff kids, especially against her own house.

Vera could tell they were holding something back. Their faces held apprehension and curiosity, it was starting to annoy her. "Is there something you wanted to ask?" She stated politely yet sternly.

Lily broke first, "why did you defend the Hufflepuffs" that comment made the dam break.

"Where did you learn those hexes?"

"How did you heal them so easily?"

"Why did you go against your house?" That was Sirius. He couldn't hold his question back. He knew all about going against what is expected, him with his family of course. But no one had ever seen Vera behave like anything but the perfect Slytherin princess.

"I quite like Hufflepuffs, they are loyal, patient and hard working. It is wrong of anyone to pick on anyone they deem weak. I am a prefect, it is my duty to protect not just those in my house. The students of Hogwarts are my family. I take care of my own." Vera stated this as if it was no big deal, and she wasn't changing the way houses saw each other.