eighteen

"I would really like to sit with you Vera, if you would let me." Lily stated factually. She thought if she said it as seriously as she could Vera would believe her, and although she was hesitant Vera still agreed. It might be nice to have someone who also understands potions sit with her.

At Vera's nod, Lily rushed over to sit in the seat beside her. As soon as Lily sat down, the Marauders soon followed, it was a comfortable silence, before Professor Slughorn and the rest of the class, trailed into the classroom.

Vera stuck her hand up, surprising everyone, usually she never said anything unless she was asked specifically. "Professor, Lily and I will be sitting together as of this class, I do hope that is alright?"

Professor Slughorn could not be more excited. The wonders those two red headed girls could do. The brightest witches of the year working on potions in his class. They were going to make history. "Yes Ms White, Ms Evans that is quite alright. As long as you get the work done." He had to turn back to his chalk board to not show off his smile. He didn't want people to know how genuinely happy he was at this pairing, he only wished he thought of it himself. He always thought they were too different to work.

While Slughorn was preparing the board with the lesson, Lily was settling in beside Vera when she looked up. Everybody but the Marauders were staring at her is distaste. The Slytherins repulsed by her house colour and her dirty blood sitting anywhere near them. The Gryffindors were disgusted by her decision. And although they were happy it was Vera and not some blood-purist bully, still incredulous stares were all they could give the pair.

Vera took it in stride, used to the stares. Lily however felt like she was betraying people she didn't even know. She statistically was only friends with 7% of Gryffindor so she shouldn't feel this bad, she did nothing wrong. It shouldn't feel like she was ending all her friendships just to start one. Still she started to freak out, so much that Vera nudged her and then whispered in her ear, "you can go back to your usual seat," she pointed to her usual seat beside Marlene Mckinnon, "it's okay I know the stares are a lot, especially when they are not positive. I get it" and Vera did get it, Lily was not used to being on the negative side of the stares. It was hard to adjust, some kids are brutal.

While Vera was understanding Lily was in shock...just not over the stares anymore. She was shocked that Vera would rather sit alone then make Lily deal with some stares. "Really Lily" she smiled, "it's okay." Vera knew it wasn't personal it was just rivalry.

"No, no. I want to stay. I am okay. I just wish they would stop glaring."

Oh well Vera could help with that. "Hello everyone," Vera smiled so falsely sweet that it sent shivers down even the Slytherins spine. "My name is Vera White, this is Lily Evans, we have been going to the same school for six years, both our faces are not new, nor are we ugly enough to deserve your distasteful looks. Now I don't know why you lot are staring at us like you've just seen Peeves and the Bloody Baron sleeping together. And I understand Lily is beautiful however you are making her uncomfortable. Which is not okay with me. Thanks in advance for looking away, I appreciate it greatly!" Vera's smile was so unnerving, it looked perfect yet unsettling." I am so glad we could move past this and get on with potions without any more meaningless interruptions."

It wasn't just the students in awe at this point. Every student Slytherin and Gryffindor alike, were silenced and feeling ashamed for something that seemed so normal. Most did not realize that their instant reaction to a Slytherin and Gryffindor sitting together resulted in immediate repulsion and hatred. The Gryffindors thought that only the Slytherins were prejudice, and the Slytherins thought only the Gryffindors were naive bigots. Their responses were instinctual, Vera was the first to make them feel as if their gut instinct was wrong.

Even Slughorn was in awe. Though he did not care much for houses. He did always hold Slytherin at a higher caliber than other houses. He sat gaping like a fish at Vera's reflection and response before he decided to just dive into the lesson.

"Draught of Living Death, what does it do?" Slughorn paused to wait for hands to go up," yes Lily what is it?"

"Draught of Living Death causes the drinker to go into a death like slumber."

"Yes very good, ten points to Gryffindor. Now can anyone tell me what the antidote is called to wake the person up?" He waited, when no one put their hand up he pointed to Vera, who he knew, knew the answer.

"The Wiggenweld Potion sir."

"Very good..." Slughorn continued on with the class but Vera was distracted. She read about he Draught of Living Death potion before she came to Hogwarts. She knew what was in it, and how to make it. What she needed to know was if it put a werewolf to sleep and if the antidote had any side effects the next day. And she knew just who to ask.