Ch. 2.3 Dances With Dragons

It was several days later when Cale approached Alex. He had waited for Gabe to leave before visiting Alex's apartment. He didn't care that Rile was still in her apartment. It would be useful to him.

"I want to learn more Earth dances," Cale told her.

"No," Alex answered.

Rile looked up from his sword. He slid the whetstone down the blade but didn't speak.

"Why not? You and Rile go dancing."

"You told him?" Alex glared at Rile.

"I didn't." Rile held up his hands in surrender. "Were you watching us, stalker?" Rile sounded happy to use Alex's term.

Cale flicked out his tongue at his youngest brother. "I guessed. Alex confirmed it."

"Fire truck. Cale, you are becoming sneaky and underhanded." Alex put her hands on her hips and tried to look stern.

"As long as you teach me more dancing." Cale smiled his easy smile at her.

"No."

"I'll go out and learn it on my own."

"Fire truck no."

"Your choice, Alex." Cale crossed his arms on his chest.

"Rile, do something." Alex flopped next to Rile on the couch.

"What do you suggest? Want me to wrestle him down and you tie him up?"

"Ick! Rile, suggest something helpful. What's dancing like on Olam?"

"Each clan has its own dancing patterns, either in a circle or a rectangle." Rile lifted his sword and examined the edge. "Boring."

Alex's gaze raked Cale up and down. "Okay. Country line dancing again. Not boring and no one on one. Rile, keep Gabe busy tonight."

"Why am I stuck with Mr. Perfect Eldest Son?" Rile fake-whined.

"You owe me," Cale said. "I'm always stuck with him."

"Cale, you feel that way about Gabe?" Alex looked at him in surprise.

"I want some fun, too," he replied. "Why wouldn't I?"

"Because you're a priest."

"I apprenticed with the priest one dry season. How many times do I have to say it?" Cale hissed in frustration.

Alex bumped shoulders with Rile. "It's so easy to yank his chain about that, isn't it?"

Rile grinned at her. "Amusing, too."

"May we leave now? I'd like dinner first," Cale said.

Alex chewed her lip and evaluated him closely. "Aren't we becoming the pushy one as well as sneaky and underhanded? I think you need more apprenticing with another priest. The Portal Guardian better take y'all back soon."

Rile sheathed his sword. "I don't want to go back."

"This is not the time or place for that discussion," Cale said. "Keep Gabe busy while Alex and I leave."

Rile stood, picked up his staff, and twirled it. "One distraction coming up."

Alex and Cale watched him leave and then Alex timed on her watch.

"We'll use my back stoop," she said. "Express. Hold my hand."

Alex speed burst off the small landing off her back steps. She landed in front of a log cabin restaurant's wooden porch.