Ch. 14. 1 Can't Control Myself

The older Alex's soft, maternal attitude kept the younger Alex from bolting out of the house. Her head was throbbing with the implications of the timeline shift and trying to absorb the shock of the brothers' counterparts.

The guest bedroom was large and airy with a four poster double bed in the middle and the walls painted soft lavender.

"The light switch is here and the fan switch is next to it. You adjust the speed of the fan by clicking the chain hanging down from it. Are you sure there isn't anything I can get you, dear? I used to love vodka martinis before the children came." The older Alex peered at her younger version's face with concern.

"No liquor. At least, not yet. My head might explode. I just need sleep." Alex flopped on the bed to prove her point.

"Here are some pajamas." The older Alex opened the drawer built into the bed frame under the mattress. She took out an oversized T-shirt and cotton shorts with a drawstring.

The younger Alex accepted them, not bothering to sit up, and her older counterpart left at the hint.

Alex wriggled out of her clothes and into the pajamas. Almost as soon as she changed, she fell into a deep sleep, her gift and her curse.

It wasn't an hour when the door cracked open.

"Alex?" Gabe asked softly. When there was no answer, he slipped into the bedroom. "Alex?" he asked a little louder, approaching the bed. Again, no answer, so he stood over her. "Alex?" he asked in an normal tone of voice.

Alex's fist connected with his muzzle and he fell back. He ducked her blast. Her legs fouled in the sheet as she leapt out of bed and she thudded to the ground, hands still blazing with white power.

"Alex, please. I won't hurt you." Gabe held up his hands and backed away. "I only wanted to speak with you."

Cale rushed into the room, sword at the ready. Alex scrambled behind the bed and looked between the two, expression wild, breathing ragged, and hands still flaring.

"I'm sorry to wake you, but there's no telling when you might be Called back and I must talk with you." The older Gabe stood respectfully back from the bed, hands still up.

Cale sheathed his sword. "My brother won't hurt you. We're here to help you. There is no one here to harm you. This is a safe house."

"Called back?" Alex looked at Gabe first, then at Cale. "Safe house?"

"Very safe," Cale assured her. "My brothers and I protect our Alex, as well as Rile's and her children."

"Children?" Alex inhaled deeply, her eyes calmed, and the power from her hand sizzled out. "The children: yes, this place is safer than home. Gabe, you would know about Callings. Is something wrong?"

"That depends on how you look at it. May we go outside to talk?" Gabe asked and then nodded at Cale.

"I'll tell Rile and Alex everything is okay." Cale turned and left.

"Sure, Gabe, let me get dressed. I'll meet you on the porch." She frowned at her hands when they trembled unfolding her clothes. She thought them traitors and told them to behave, that it wasn't their Gabe.

There is no 'my' Gabe anymore.

***

Alex and Gabe walked into the pine woods without a word. The wind had died but the crickets enthusiastically filled the night with noise. The sound was familiar and the pine scent was clean and soothing, so Alex followed his lead without question.

There are times when you don't question Gabe, any Gabe.

"I've been thinking," he said when they arrived at a pond's edge. "I'm sorry my counterpart failed you."