Ch. 17.2 Finding Na

Alex faced off with Zilik in his private office. Lok had shown her the way and even helped her enter. He then guarded the door on the outside.

"You knew," Alex told the wary Chameleon. "You knew Gabe had a son and you knew Mina knew."

Zilik felt a twinge at Alex's low, overly controlled voice, her narrowed eyes, her fists hissing with stray sparks.

"You knew and you didn't tell me." Alex's accusation dripped lethal poison.

"I heard rumors, but I didn't know for sure," Zilik replied in a conciliatory tone. "I told you that."

"Mina said the Anolis males sent you word. I must rescue Gabe's son. Goodbye."

"No Alex, you can't." Zilik's voice was controlled this time.

"I don't think I heard you correctly." Alex cocked her head in challenge, lips thinning in anger. Facing Zilik, she squared her stance, hardened her stare, and placed her fists on her hips.

Zilik rose to the challenge. His color changed to a calm, determined brown, he straightened his spine and tilted his chin up in defiance.

"You heard me perfectly well. You wanted me to be a world leader and now I'm speaking to you as one. If you attempt to retrieve the child, it will jeopardize everything we've worked so hard for. The political ramifications will destroy our alliance, maybe even the Council itself since you have our support. I won't risk war."

"You heard Mina. Cla murdered a child. Her own son."

"Unfortunately, Cla is an Anolis and her children are as well. This can only be handled by the Anolis government. InterSpec has no jurisdiction. We overstep our bounds and the entire Council crumbles and then war will break out."

"Those children are half Agama and that gives me jurisdiction," Alex said.

"There is no Agama nation on this world. No Agama on the Council. They do not live or participate in our world. Our business is not their business."

Alex looked at him for a long time, chewing her lip. "I've created a monster."

"I'm sorry, Alex. You didn't create anything. This is how my world is." Her old friend was speaking now, not the world leader. "I know what you've been through." Zilik took her hands. "You know I would do anything for you."

"Then release me."

"I'm sorry, Alex."

"Me too." She blasted him with white light. 

At least he'll wake up happy. I could do that much for him. It'll be hard without Zilik's help. I wonder if Razz knew more than he told me. If he did, well, he can have a dose of the same. It'll speed up my timetable though, for he could alert the Anolis government.

Alex pondered that.

No, Razz would never do that. He will help me, help that little child, and politics be hanged. He will even help me torture information out of Mina, if need be.

Alex opened the door and Lok peeked in. Lok looked at Alex, down at Zilik on the floor, and up again at Alex.

"He's breathing. Should I ask?" Lok asked, his color a bright green.

"He knew about Gabe's son and didn't tell me. He also attempted to stop me. You?"

"I will help you," Lok said. "I have my own set of spies after all and I'm not officially on the Council."

"Let's talk to Lon first and then see if we need your spies."

**

Alex was right. Lon gave her all the information that she needed about the children.