Ch. 15.1 The Golden Repair

Alex and Gabe began a walking routine in the woods over the next week. The tall, slender pine trees towered overhead, whispering and bending in the breeze. Their pine scent was clean and soothing.

Alex rested her hand in Gabe's crippled one, and their hands swung gently with their gait. The crunching of dry pine needles underfoot markedly increased as footsteps pounded toward them.

Alex stopped, turned to face the noise, and raised her hands, glowing with malevolent red power.

Gabe held up a cautionary hand toward her, however. He tilted his head to hear better and then knelt on one knee, arms wide.

Alex opened her mouth to object, but before she could speak, a little figure burst out of the underbrush and flung itself into Gabe's arms.

He gathered Caleb close, laid his head on his, and thrummed so deeply in his chest that Alex felt, as well as heard, it. The thrumming soothed her heart and soul.

"Uncle Gabe, Uncle Gabe," Caleb sobbed in the strange, tearless way of the Agama and Anolis.

"Yes, child, I'm here. One day it will be restored, all of creation will be restored." His twisted fingers gently trailed down the boy's back over and over again.

Alex stopped the power to her hands and stared down awkwardly at the pair, momentarily dumbfounded. Then she scanned the surroundings for what could have hurt the child.

"Was Rafe tearing at your hide again?" Gabe asked gently.

Caleb nodded, his face buried in Gabe's shoulder. "He said I was weak," he sniffed. "Would never be of any use."

"Jerk," Alex muttered. "Takes after his father."

Gabe shot her a warning look and she closed her mouth, thinning her lips.

"Our value is not in our performance," Gabe crooned. "Come, let us show you."

Alex raised her eyebrows at the 'us' but said nothing. Gabe stood, cradling Caleb on his forearms because of his crippled hands. The child hung onto his neck as well and nestled against his chest.

Alex felt her throat tighten and tears prick at her eyes. She forced them back and followed Gabe toward the house, the clean scent of pine soothing her.

He led them around the house to a small wooden outbuilding. It was tidy and clean with a wide, inviting door. Gabe used the copper foot door opener expertly and entered. Alex followed him inside.

Cale was sitting on a bench at a long work table and greeted them. Gabe sat next to him. Caleb stood up on his lap and pulled a chain with a large ball at the end. A light switched on, illuminating a cracked white porcelain vase with a chunk missing.

"That's Mom's vase that Rafe broke," Caleb said.

"Life breaks us all," Gabe replied. "Pick up that small flashlight please and turn it on."

He obeyed and Gabe pulled the ball so the light switched off. "Alex, please close the door. Caleb, place the flashlight in the vase."

They both obeyed and the light inside the vase illuminated the cracks glowing golden.

"I learned it from the humans called Japanese," Gabe said. "It's called the Golden Repair. The vase was broken, but now it is strong in the broken places and more beautiful."

Alex wanted to weep, fighting her closing throat.

Gabe clicked on the light. "Would you like to fix the last piece, Caleb?"

"Yes, Uncle Gabe, please."

"Here is what the humans call 'epoxy'. See there are two tubes joined together? Squeeze out a small amount onto this wax paper and stir with this wooden stick. They react together and will harden in a few minutes, so we must work quickly."