Ch. 5.2 Razz Picks A Side

When they finished with Razz, they returned to the healing section of the Institute.

Zilik was still weak and in bed, but looked glad to see them.  "Deela has sent word that she wants to meet with you," he told Cale.

"I don't want to see her." Cale's reply was immediate and firm.

"She says she'll come here if you wish."

"I wish to never see her lying face again."

Alex kissed Cale lightly on the side of his muzzle for his stout refusal. Gabe and Rile both startled, but only Gabe looked upset. Rile relaxed, expression thoughtful.

"I hope you don't mind, Alex, but I sent out a bulletin that you had returned. It also said you wanted all the former palace males to meet you here in InterSpec City and that you would go looking for those who didn't show up." Zilik nodded at her satisfied expression.

"Oooh, devious. I like it."

"I thought it was rather forthright. Besides, I knew you would prowl around for more fights when you grew bored."

"I sent out a declaration that any male could apply to you for emancipation," Razz added.

He received dirty looks from Zilik and Gabe, but Alex fingered her sword hilt. "Do not become too excited," Razz warned, "I doubt that it will help much. The males must escape to make it here and that will not be easy."

"What if I tour the entire Anolis nation? Visit all the cities to meet the males?"

"You could call it the 'I'm Going To Be Slaughtered' tour." Rile may not have been upset with Razz and Zilik for their actions, but Alex was always taking things too far. So impulsive and injudicious. He liked that about her.

"I do want you to make some appearances, Alex, but really, the Anolis nation?" Zilik fixed her with a beady eye.

"A girl can hope. What about touring near the border?"

"That can be arranged," Razz said.

"Perhaps we all should discuss this," Gabe said. "As team leader and Clan Head, I must be involved in these decisions."

Gabe's bitterness grew for all to see and Rile was pleased. All this was working in his favor. Alex demanded that they all sleep with her at night 'in this female dominated hell hole'.

That hadn't gone over well with Gabe, either. Gabe was going to sink himself any time now.

Rile knew that Razz would help him. He just needed some time to talk to the little guy and explain what happened. Razz would talk to Alex and she would listen to him.

Who knows, even Zilik might put in a good word for him. Rile was mighty pleased.

****

Razz pulled Rile aside and took him to his quarters. "I thought that we should talk. What happened?"

"I could tell you what Cale told me: that loyalty and love win out over love alone every time."

"You could. What else happened?" Razz the consummate politician and survivor asked.

"Alex found out about the glow she gives off at night. She was pretty upset that I didn't tell her."

"Bad, very bad, considering her past, but not insurmountable. What else happened?" 

Rile took a deep breath. He wanted Razz's help, so he would have to tell him everything. "I grew angry with Alex and accused her of thinking that all I wanted was neuro-electric sex. Then . . . then I left."

"And That One jumped in. I know very well how things like this work. I was part of a harem for years. I am very sorry for both you and Alex. Still, I think that I can help."

"Just what I was hoping."

"That One seems resentful. Tell me about it."

Rile thought. "How much time do you have?"

"I owe Alex all of my time." Razz sat down.

Rile told him the whole story.

***** 

After Rile finished, Razz pronounced, "I do not think you will need that much help after all."

For the first time in weeks, Rile felt hope.

"Already That One is upset over Alex's status here. Zilik and I were planning on using Alex's status as much as possible to help my fellow Anolis males."

Razz added at Rile's sharp look, "Alex agrees with this. You saw how happy she was when we told her our plans. It just takes a little twisting of the knife that That One has placed in his own heart. You control your temper and this might work."

"Thanks, Razz."

"I feel guilty accepting your thanks. It is Alex that I want to help. That One has betrayed Alex. He is not worthy of her. You seem better fitted for her and she loves you. Her loyalty to That One is misplaced. Heroes often betray themselves with misplaced loyalty.  I will not allow that to happen to Alex."

They walked back to the infirmary where Zilik read papers in bed while Gabe and Cale spoke together quietly.

Alex was drinking from a goblet and staring into space. Razz disappeared briefly. Then the head healer walked in, part of Razz's well-oiled machine.

"Council Member Zilik is still in grave condition. He needs sleep and body heat for optimal recovery."

"No, you are asking too much of Alex. I already owe her my life. I can't ask for more nights," Zilik the politician said with calculated humbleness.

"Oh, why not? We're already sleeping in a group for protection. What's one more and one more night? Plus the guys here are experts at waking up at night over every little whisper. More power to them because I need my sleep," Alex replied.

"Any other orders, team and clan leader?" Gabe asked.

Alex drew back into herself at Gabe's sarcasm. Fortunately, Razz had placed himself next to her.

Not fortunate.

Deliberate.

He leaned against her.

"I understand if you do not want your team here," Razz addressed Gabe. "I volunteer to stay here with Alex and Zilik. I, too, am an expert at 'waking up at night over every little whisper'. It helped me to survive in Cla's harem."

Razz cut down Gabe with surgical precision. He now knew that Gabe did not consider Alex a permanent Guardian, thanks to his heart to heart talk with Rile. The reference to Cla had many beneficial effects. Beneficial to Rile, not Gabe.

Gabe reassessed Razz. "We were Called here to help Zilik and help Zilik we will. Cale will take first watch. I'll take second and Rile, third."

**       

That night, Gabe was careful to take possession of the best sleeping spot next to Alex, clasping her with a protective arm to his chest.

Zilik made much of how painful it was for him to lie down next to Alex, to show that his intentions were honorable.

Razz lay on Zilik's other side and motioned to Rile to come next to him. Alex tamped down her guilt feelings: it became easier every time she slept in a group bed.

Consciences do become seared.

A/N
What chance does Gabe have now that Razz has picked Rile's side?

Dedicated to newest reader author

tammygisselle0602

I pray we keep reading each other's works through book 3!