Ch. 11. 2 Talking Crazy

Despite the events of the past few days, Gabe was unprepared for what awaited him at Alex's apartment the next afternoon.  He stared in shock for a minute. 

Alex lay on the couch, her head resting on Rile's lap as he stroked her hair.

"What is going on?" Gabe demanded.

"Shh." Cale pulled him aside. "Rile found Alex trying to cut her wrists with this." He held up a bloody razor blade. "He just now calmed her."

"What?!"

Alex started from her sleep at Gabe's angry exclamation.

"Good going, loudmouth." Rile glared at him.

She rose up on one elbow and rubbed her eyes. Gabe knelt beside her and it froze his blood to see the jagged slash running down her arm.

"Is this true? Why would you do such a thing? Why would you harm yourself after all that Morgan did to you? Aren't you hurt enough? Enemies cause enough damage to you. Don't add to it," Gabe said.

"Lay off." Rile gathered Alex up in his arms and she turned her face to his chest.

"But—" Gabe started.

"Stuff it in your eggshell." Rile stood up and carried her over to the bedroom. "I may be a hothead as the humans say, but at least I don't expect perfection from everyone around me."

As they disappeared, Gabe said softly, "But I didn't mean it that way."

Cale patted his shoulder. "Agama are taught the value of our lives and the destruction that suicide leaves behind. Perhaps humans are not."

***

Alex slept through the rest of the day and the night as well. Rile refused to leave her side, despite offers from Cale to switch off.  Rile had dragged a recliner next to Alex's bed.

Gabe went in and out, alternating checking on Alex and roaming the streets to ease his roiled emotions. The morning sun filtered through the second-hand lace curtains.

Alex opened her eyes, but without her usual awakening panic and confusion. "It must have been some party," she said.

Rile woke with a start, almost falling off the recliner. "What did you say?"

"I said it must have been some party. I feel hung over and you didn't make it home." Alex sat up in bed.

"How are you feeling?" He wasn't sure he was hearing this. Maybe he was still asleep.

"I said I felt hung over," she giggled. "You must be, too.  No one could beat your drinking record. Too bad I don't remember it, I'm sure you did lots of amusing things while drunk."

"Alex, there wasn't a party," he began, very confused.

"I thought I had been drunk. Don't deny it. Are Gabe and Cale here, too? They'll want breakfast." She pulled off the covers and tried to swing her legs over the side of the bed. 

"Alex, stay put. You shouldn't get out of bed for a week." He flipped the covers back over her.

"A week? For a hangover? Talk about conservative treatment. If it's the doctor's orders, then I guess you'll have to bring me breakfast in bed." She smiled mischievously at him.

"Alex, you're talking crazy," Rile said.

"You're right. You bring me breakfast? I must be insane. Let me up." She flung back the covers and tried to stand.  She fell, but Rile caught her. 

"Alex, stop it. Don't you remember anything that happened? Not even yesterday?" He held her gently in his arms and gazed down at her, deciding if he should kiss her.