Ch. 16.2 Never Ask Why

Alex went without protest into the lab and followed orders obediently, numbly.  The enormous MRI machine commanded the middle of the room.

She lay on its cold table and watched as they strapped her down, not fighting them, not helping them.

A white-coated doctor tapped buttons and started the machine whirring. "We'll start with some gross imaging studies and see if that tells us anything. Alex, this won't hurt."

"I know what an MRI is and there's no need to tie me down.  I gave myself up after all," she called out from the table. "I lost my memory. I'm not stupid."

The doctor looked at Brockner, who shrugged, then motioned the techs to untie Alex.

"Thank you.  All you had to do was ask," she grumbled as she rubbed her wrists.

***

That night Alex prowled her assigned room, locating the microphones and cameras.  It was a barren room with concrete block walls, polished concrete floor, and a plain mattress on the floor, no sheets or blankets.

To her surprise, the window wasn't barred, but on closer inspection she could see that it was wired.  Thin black threads coursed its length, ready to shock anyone who dared try breaching it.  She traced back a black wire and found it wasn't plugged in.

Maybe it had its own power source.

She didn't touch anything and went to bed.  She reflected on the day and that none of the tests had hurt...yet.  She imagined they would progress to the more invasive tests sometime. 

Why is there no sign of either Grange or Dr. Cohan? Surely they existed here. Or maybe not, since this Brockner apparently stayed on the side of the agency. Not that it matters.

She stared out the wired window from her mattress. 

At least I had a little time with the children.  That made it all worthwhile. That and a second chance with Gabe. A Gabe all my own.

There was a motion at the window and she jumped.  Then her face suffused with joy and she rushed over. 

She waved Gabe off, pointing to the wires. She signaled for him to wait and then blasted the window.  It exploded in a thousand sparks.

She may have called her powers neuro-electric, but enough juice and she could overload most electronic device. 

She nodded to Gabe who then smashed his staff against the window, holding his staff in a strange grip of his wrist, elbow and shoulder.  The safety glass carmelized with a million cracks, but stayed in one piece. 

Alex speed-burst through it, trusting her slipstream to be stronger than broken safety glass.

"I knew you'd come for me." She threw her arms around his neck.

"I would track you to the iciest regions of hell and back. Since I was crippled, I learned how to track cars. Let's go before security crawls out of the walls."

They leapt from the ledge and literally disappeared in a speed burst.

"We can fly to where the others are hiding," Gabe said.

"No, I don't want to risk them following us to the children." Both Alex's valued the children over their own safety.

"Then where?"

"How does a honeymoon at Niagara Falls sound? One hint of trouble and we can be across the border in seconds."

"Perfect.  Why hasn't anyone come out of the building yet?" Gabe looked back.

"Never ask why."

Alex speed burst failed. She flew a short distance and activated it again through the night until she was too tired to see straight.

Gabe used his phone to locate a motel and paid cash. They curled together under the sheets, blackout curtains blocking the sunrise.

***

A man watched the monitors, looking bored.  When one of the alarms began to shriek, his expression didn't change, but he quickly slapped it off. 

Then he watched the window monitor with mild interest as Alex flew through the window.  A door behind him opened.

"Grange?" the man at the door asked.

"Yes, Dr. Cohan.  Looks like your Friday autopsy has been cancelled." He indicated the monitor showing the broken window.

"Too bad," he said without the slightest trace of regret. "Care to make a foursome for 18 holes on Friday instead?"

"Perfect.  Let me set this alarm to go off in ten minutes and we'll have a drink."

"A toast, then, to love that conquers all."

"Please."

*****
A/N

Is this more like it? Action! Treachery! Break-out!!

If you enjoyed the chapter, please consider clicking the star below

Dedicated to:

ShadowsAfterglow

Thanks for the love song suggestions!
sonorajlm