Ch. 18.2 Going Home with Na

Razz walked slowly across the platform. Grief didn't just weigh down his heart, it settled into his entire body. He reached the podium and rested his leaden arms on it.

"It is my sad duty to inform you of three deaths. The child Na died from injuries inflicted by his mother Cla, despite his rescue by Alex. In retribution, she challenged Cla. Both died in the resulting duel. The bodies of Alex and Na were claimed by her friends so they could be buried together. The body of Cla was taken by her band of warriors."

Razz looked out at the satisfied expressions of the extremists dispersed in the crowd. He hated them. He hated himself for using their idea and hated that it was working so well.

Zilik came over and laid a sympathetic hand on his shoulder.

"I want to strangle them," Razz whispered to him as he turned back to his seat.

Zilik took the podium. "I would like to take a few moments to remember Alex. She fought for the Anolis males when they were considered nothing more than property."

He paused to look over the faces of the extremists. Expressions ranged from agreement to wariness. "She didn't hesitate to fight for a child when no one saw anything wrong with his treatment. She cared for him more than her image, politics, or her own life."

He paused again. "It was most un-Chameleon, but I respect her for it. We should not let her death be in vain. Children are not property, any more than males. No one has the right to injure or kill a child, not even the parents. Discipline, yes. Injure, no. Our job now is to carry this message to all the societies on our world."

There was respectful applause. Not thunderous, but Zilik would settle for it.

***

Floating to consciousness, Alex was first aware of a throbbing in her side. Next, she had the feeling of being watched. She opened her eyes to see a small pair of eyes boring into her.

"Na?" she asked.

"Tia? You're awake? Are you okay?"

Their voices roused Gabe, who had been sleeping in a nearby chair.

"Where are we?" she asked Na as Gabe rubbed his eyes.

"With my dad and uncles and cousins."

Alex relaxed at the last word. She was where she desperately wanted. She smiled at Gabe who was quick to sit on the bed next to her. He laid his mangled hand over her pale one.

"There's a lady who kinda looks like you." Na climbed on the bed.

"She's my sister."

Na nodded, looking satisfied.

"How are you feeling?" Gabe asked Alex quietly.

"Great, now." Alex raised his hand and pressed it gently to her cheek, careful not to strain the damaged joints.

Na looked anxiously from one to the other until Alex took his hand as well.

"He's been your constant companion since we brought you home from the hospital. He would have stayed there if we let him. We can't pry him away, so Alex has been serving him meals in here," Gabe explained.

"You, too, I bet," Alex said.

"Guilty as charged."

"How long have I been out?"

"Not that long. You spent one night in the hospital for treatment, tests, and observation, then Grange had you sedated for the transfer home to lessen your pain. A nurse came last night and this morning."