Ch. 14.3 Burns, Orange Juice, and Vodka

Dawn was not welcome, but Gabe sat up in bed anyway. This time he waited for Alex to awaken. He stayed perfectly still as she gazed around wildly, hair askew, hand flaring red. 

He smiled reassuringly and held up his hands, fingers bent at odd angles. When she saw his fingers, she breathed out and the red power from her hand died.

"We should return to the main house before the others awaken.  Are you okay?" he asked.

Alex nodded and let him help her to her feet.  As they walked out, Alex looked back at the little cabin. "What is this place?"

"An old hunting cabin.  There are several on the grounds, but this one is in the best shape." 

***

To Alex's dismay, everyone was awake when they reached the main house.  Only Caleb and Rafe looked at them in innocence.  But either the others were too discreet to say anything or the older Alex's warning glares kept them silent.

"Nice morning for a walk," the older Alex said firmly as she served breakfast, daring anyone to contradict her. "Are you hungry?"

Before they could answer, the phone lying on the counter rang. No one tried to answer it but the older Alex.  She mostly listened, said a few terse 'yeses' and hung up.

"I must leave right now." She turned apologetic eyes on her guest. "I'm sorry I can't stay and talk longer, but it's urgent."

"Mom's in the FBI, like James Bond," Caleb said with pride.

"James Bond isn't in the FBI." Rafe's reply was scornful. "Mom's in the CIA, stupid. And we're not supposed to tell anyone."

"You just did. Besides, she must be okay or she wouldn't be able to stay," Caleb retorted.

"Stop fighting you two," the older Alex said. "Rafe, don't call your brother stupid."

"I wish you would stop taking assignments from these bozos," Rile said.

"Rile, let's not start this, I have to hurry."

The older Alex left for the bedroom.  When she came out she was wearing nondescript black clothes, a more sedate version of Alex's own leather outfit.

"I'll see you later. I doubt this will take overnight.  Bye." She kissed the two little ones as she rushed out.

***

The older Alex was wrong and ended up texting them that she would be gone three days.

Rile grumbled but reined in his rage when he saw his sons watching him with wide eyes.

Each night, Gabe and the younger Alex snuck to the cabin after Caleb and Rafe were in bed.

On the third morning, Gabe was awakened by Alex's shivering. He frowned as he wiped the sweat off her brow with his mangled finger.

She murmured and moaned so he kissed her forehead, cheeks, and neck until her eyes opened. Then he froze stock-still as she assessed her situation, her morning confusion worsened by fever.

When she looked at him, he held up his hands. The sight of the twisted fingers always reassured her and brought out her instincts to help him. She cupped his hands in hers and started a low level glow.

"Alex, you are hot even for a mammal. What is wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing," she murmured and kissed his fingers.

"Ah, you're a clever one," he replied. "Trying to distract me. But your health takes precedence over my pleasure."

"Our pleasure," she said between kisses.