Ch. 13.1 Rile's Plan Unleashed

A/N: The music gives you a hint...

***

The next evening, Alex cuddled with Gabe on her bed. "Sorry I'm such a drag I feel so tired."

"You have a good reason.  Why don't you change into your pajamas and I'll assemble the cleaning materials?"

"Gabe, I can take care of myself. I'm a big girl now."

"You can't reach the burn on your back, so hurry up."

"Yes, sir." She saluted and then disappeared into the bathroom.

Gabe picked up the various bottles scattered on the dresser and selected the cleanser.  Then he unwrapped the gauze. Alex came out wearing the Avengers nightshirt that he had given her.

"Lie on your stomach and let me see that burn," he ordered.

"Stop fussing," she said mildly, but flopped on the bed anyway, face down, and raised her nightshirt.

He gently swabbed the burn with gauze dampened with cleanser.

"Scrub, Gabe. Don't be so timid."

"I don't want to hurt you."

"Gabe, that is about the only thing that doesn't hurt.  Now put some muscle into it, it itches like crazy," Alex partially lied. The edges itched but the center of the burn still pulsed with pain.

***

On the stairwell up to Alex's apartment, Cale told Rile, "We shouldn't use Alex's apartment like a big refrigerator. We aren't supposed to start the movies until much later, after we escort Dr. Dewey home from his night class."

"I didn't see anyone with a gun to your head to come." Rile shot him a disdainful glance, silencing his brother.

They entered through the back door quietly, scanning the apartment. Cale was about to say something when Rile held up a hand for silence. 

He pointed to the bedroom and motioned for him to listen.  They could just make out Alex's and Gabe's voices. 

"Gabe's here. We should leave," Cale whispered.

"All the more reason to stay.  Let's peek." Rile crept toward the bedroom.

"Rile, that's not right. Let's go."

"Admit it: you are as curious as I am as to what's goes on between those two.  Either shut up or leave.  I'm looking." Rile shook off his brother's hand and crept to the bedroom door.  He smirked when he saw that Cale followed. 

The door was partly open, allowing both of them a clear view.  Alex was stretched out on her stomach, head cradled on her arms, while Gabe rubbed her back with a wad of gauze.

"Feel better?" Gabe asked when he finished rubbing, applied a large bandage that covered the dragon-shaped burn, and pulled down her shirt.

She murmured a reply.  Gabe pulled the covers over her and stood up.

Cale and Rile tried to beat a hasty retreat but ended up falling over each other. Gabe looked sharply at the door and in an instant was standing before them.

"Well?" he asked with his best 'mighty leader' look as Rile had dubbed it.

"We came over for a snack . . ." Cale faltered.

"Time to patrol, Gabe," Rile, immune to Gabe's various glares, said with aplomb.  "Alex, want to come along?" he yelled into the bedroom.

Alex knew better than to feign sleep with Rile.  "Uh, n-no, I don't...I don't feel up to it.  Go ahead."