Ch. 17.3 A&B Camping with Na

Na was first awake in the morning, the benefit of childhood energy. "Tia?"

"What?" Alex sat bolt upright and looked around wildly, hand flaring with power. She calmed at the sight of Na, memory returning to her. "Good morning. How about some breakfast?"

Na nodded, stock still and staring in fright at her hand hissing and crackling with red power.

"Don't mind this." Alex extinguished the power. "It's a weapon I use. I crippled Mina with it. Your Mother will receive a far greater dose if she finds us."

He nodded.

"Now, what to eat?" she asked. "Here, I have stuff that Razz packed."

They ate rations, supplemented by berries that Na pointed out.

"I could use a hot shower, but I'll settle for a swim in that creek. Do you want to swim with me?"

Na blinked, probably surprised that he was asked instead of ordered. "I can't swim. Mother didn't let me play with the other children."

"Figures." Alex realized that she would never stop feeling a slow burn at Cla's cruelty. "We'll fix that."

**

They laughed and giggled as they splashed on the shallow side of the creek. The water was cool, fresh, and crystal clear.

It was hunger that eventually forced them out of the water. Razz had wisely packed two towels in her backpack. One was usually for her hair.

"What's that scar on your back?"

Alex's expression tightened. She had removed her shirt; glad for her sturdy sports bra to swim and splash in, and now she regretted it.

She knelt down and said, "I will tell you when you are older."

"Most warriors are very proud of their battle scars," Na said earnestly.

"It's a tale to tell you later. Much, much later."

"You do mean to keep me." Na began to cry, the strange, tearless sobbing of the reptiles on this world.

Alex held him close. "For as long as you want." She let him cry himself out, knowing how much she appreciated it when Rile had done the same for her.

She stroked his back with a lightly glowing hand. When he finally stopped, she patted him and said, "Let's find lunch." She pulled on her T-shirt.

She watched closely as he picked out the edible plants and berries. She asked about the ones he passed by. He didn't know many details, only to avoid them.

"Where is my father?" he asked when they were picking berries. "He isn't waiting in another city, like a Chameleon City or Interspec City, is he?"

"No, he's very far away," Alex said, hoping to not explain further.

"Are we going there? When will I meet him?"

Alex stopped picking berries. "Soon, I hope. I can't return us to my world and the one who brought me here didn't say when she was coming back. We'll have to wait for her. Until then, we lie low. Maybe we can stay in the woods the whole time, since you know how to find food. I'm sorry, it won't be easy."

"That's okay. This is lots better than home. No one hits me or orders me around. What is my father like?"

"He's a great warrior, very brave and strong, but also very kind. He, uh, also doesn't know about you. He is going to be surprised when he meets you." Alex grinned. "Very, very surprised."

She turned serious, cupped Na's muzzle in her hands, and gazed into his eyes. "But I want you to understand that, in case he acts . . . well, less than thrilled to meet you. He may need time to adjust, but I promise he will love you. He's always wanted a son."