Ch. 15.2 Reboot The Mission Redeaux

Gabe waited for Alex to wake up. It was much safer. He lay on his side and ran his claws through the straight, silky hair. Slowly his top wing unfurled and draped across Alex.

She inhaled deeply and her body glowed. The luminescence lit his wing, spread to his torso, and then throughout his body. He rested his head next to hers and whispered, "I'll love you forever."

She shifted and his wing snapped to his back. He watched, stock still, as her eyes opened and she looked around, always disoriented, usually frightened. She gazed up at him and he smiled.

"Gabe?"

"Yes."

"Why am I damp and cold?"

"You helped me. You were magnificent. You replaced the nightmares of Cla." He ran the back of his hand down her cheek. "I'm sorry I don't have the body heat to keep you warm."

"Cla did this to you?" Alex caught his hand and traced the fingers. "Then you're my Gabe."

He leaned forward and kissed her. "Yes, I'm your Gabe. Now and always."

***

After Alex and Gabe warmed each other up with their bodies and Alex's power, Gabe held Alex against his chest and asked, "Since you helped me with my nightmares, can I—"

"No."

"You didn't let me finish."

"I know what you were going to say. You can't help me with Morgan. You don't have my powers. Leave it."

"What about Rile's Alex?"

"No."

"Why won't you even consider it?"

"One, this world's Morgan did a lot less to her and I won't put her through more. Two, the idea of her using her powers on me is creepy. Three, he used big illegal machines on my brain."

Gabe ran gentle claws on her back over the terrible burn, one of the few places he could safely touch her. She claimed it itched and that his fingers on it eased her.

"I'm surprised you kiss me," Alex said. "Human kisses are disgusting while Agama ones are magnificent. It's a poor trade. Thank you and it helps me tremendously."

Gabe traced her lips with his thumb. "My counterpart told you that human kisses are disgusting? He's a bigger idiot than I thought."

"He was smart enough to never kiss me," Alex said. "This isn't about him. It's about you helping me and me thanking you."

Gabe leaned forward so their lips almost touched. "Your kisses are the magnificent ones," he whispered.

"I guess powers help," Alex said. "Thank the Creator of All for them."

Gabe kissed her lightly. "It's not powers, it's you."

Alex ran glowing hands along his jaw and neck. "Thank you."

"I'm surprised Rile didn't make a play for you back on your world," he said at length.

"He took what he wanted," Alex said with bitterness. "Never again."

"Rile took? That bastard," Gabe hissed.

"Wait, not what you think," Alex said. "I'm feeling sorry for myself and being a drama queen. He only slept with me and indulged in my nightly glow when I didn't know about it. Cale said he should have told me, but it wasn't rape. Stand down."

"It wasn't right," Gabe said with anger.

"Oh, he knows that. I beat him down with a staff so hard that Cale had to stop me from killing him, I went so berserk." Alex traced his fingers, her hand lightly glowing white.