Ch. 19.1 This Is Goodbye

Alex awoke and decided that although she had little faith in prayer, even Cale's, she needed to buy him time to pray and to keep Gabe and Rile off their backs. The Portal Guardian had already kicked her through two rough portals away from her Gabe.

Can the nearly perfect Cale persuade her to send me back?

Alex sat on her bed and thought. She couldn't make up a complicated lie because she couldn't remember it.

After a time, she thought of a simple plan and rehearsed it several times. She took a deep breath, stood up, and opened the bedroom door.

Surprised that the brothers weren't in her living room, she walked down to their apartment and knocked. Cale opened the door.

"Please, come in. May I make you something to eat or drink?" Cale asked.

She shook her head and saw that Gabe was alone on the couch. She couldn't see Rile in the kitchenette or common area as she walked in.

"It'll be okay." Alex leaned over the back of the couch and rested her cheek on Gabe's shoulder. "I promise it will be okay. The Portal Guardian told me so."

"She did? What did she say?" Gabe twisted around to face her.

"She was her usual cryptic, terse self. I was lucky for the message as it was."

Keep the lie simple.

Cale wandered into the bedroom to give them privacy. Alex forced herself to remain calm and try to remember her lie.

She shouldn't have bothered.

The now familiar slice of light appeared in the apartment.

"It is time, my Guardians, for you to return home." The shattering glass voice seemed to come from everywhere.

Gabe jumped up, radiating the enthusiasm of a kid at Christmas. "Cale! Rile! This is it: home! Gear up now."

Both ran into the room and saw the portal. Cale quickly disappeared, followed by the sounds of packing. Rile assessed the room first and left more slowly.

Gabe joined them and despite Cale's head start, finished packing first.

They returned to the living room. Alex sat on the couch, knees drawn to her chest, a somber expression on her face.

"This is goodbye." She didn't move.

"Alex?" Gabe's expression mirrored guilt and confusion. "Aren't you coming?"

"It's not my home and you're not going on a mission."

"You can't stay here alone," Cale said.

"I do not leave my active Guardians alone. I will find her a team." The voice turned into a pleasant bell ringing.

"Bye guys." Alex jumped up, heart pounding in her chest. "Is the team coming here or am I going to them?"

Gabe! My Gabe! And Galen! I thought I'd never see them again!

"I know your true question. Cease your prayers to return to the world of your last mission," the Portal Guardian said. "The war escalates and I cannot spare energy to keep you there. Accept this as a part of war and resume your fight on your world."

Alex stumbled backward, hit the chair, and collapsed into it. She buried her face in her hands.

My Gabe is lost forever to me. He and his brothers were stripped of their Guardian status because of me. My only consolation is that he has Galen as his son now.