Ch. 14.2 The Morning After

Alex awoke with a start. She looked wildly around the rough wooden room, heart pounding, desperately looking for something familiar.

She found Gabe lying next to her and she remembered what had happened, what she had done. Guilt knotted her stomach. She carefully swung her legs over the bed so as not to disturb the sleeping figure.

At least I'm still dressed, all I have to do was put on my shoes and I'm home free. I'll fly around and if I'm lucky, I'll be Called elsewhere. Being dumped in the middle of an ocean is a good start.

"Where are you going?" Gabe asked innocently, smiling up at her. He pushed back the covers and sat up.

"I....I..." Her smooth lies stuck in her throat at the sight of his sweet expression of trust and love.

Instead, jagged words of apology, tangled with sobs, tumbled out. "I'm sorry I did that to you, used you like that. I miss Gabe so much; hurt so much inside and out; that I wanted to feel something other than pain. Your love is so kind, so soothing and sincere, that when you said you were useless, I plunged into it. That's no excuse, but it's all I've got."

He listened with astonishment, then reached up and guided her back down on the bed.

"First of all, I am Gabe. Second, I don't recall any 'using' going on. Third, I'd say I had the better end of the deal."

"But..." Alex's voice failed her as her throat tightened.

"The way I see it, I'm the same Gabe, up to a point. It's like you were in love with me when I was younger, then we were separated."

I'm not the only one deceiving myself. Makes me feel a little better.

She squirmed as she realized there was still one thing she was holding back.

It isn't only for my sake, but for the sake of this Alex and Rile and their children...and I can't take the burden of this secret.

"There's something else I must tell you. But you have to swear to not tell anyone else, especially Alex or Rile. It could destroy their relationship like it did mine and Gabe's."

Gabe didn't say anything.

"Swear or I won't say a thing and we're done and I'm gone. I can't go through this again. I won't endanger this timeline's Rile and Alex."

"I swear."

"You have to believe that I didn't know this for a long time," she said with urgency.

"I believe you." Gabe tucked her hair behind her ear tenderly with a deformed finger.

"Those powers that you experienced, they're addictive and misleading. If you're feeling anything for me, it's not real, just a side effect." Alex pulled away. "It's not just because I relieved the pain in your hands. The power is euphoric. Makes you think you're in love with me. You're not. Trust me."

There was silence as Gabe pondered her statements, looking down at his twisted fingers.

"You see why you can never tell Alex or Rile. Alex probably doesn't know. I didn't know until Brockner told me. But we can't risk it. I'm sorry to burden you with this, but like I said, I can't go through this again."

Gabe thought a long moment before meeting her eyes and speaking. "Alex and Rile have been together ten years now. I've watched them work together, fight together, fight with each other, and raise the boys together. What I've seen is no side effect: it's true love."

Something clicked in Gabe's brain. "Maybe ten years ago it might have made a difference, but not now. So that's what happened between you and Gabe, isn't it?"

Alex longed to stroke his fingers again, to relieve the throbbing pain she had felt from them.

Instead, she said, "If only it had been that, maybe we would have had a chance to salvage our relationship, or maybe not. But I screwed up. When I found out about my powers, I hid it from Gabe. I started working for Brockner and concealed that from him, too. Then I switched to working for Grange and still kept everything secret. It all imploded at once. It was too much for Gabe. I don't blame him."

"He should have given you a second chance."

"No, it was my fault." Alex shook her head emphatically. "I lied over and over."

"I don't care whose fault it was." He gripped her shoulders but without much force from the damaged fingers. "I care about one thing. I want you to give me a chance."

"What?" Alex stared at him. "But, I told you, those powers—"

"This is not some side effect." Gabe was emphatic. "You've told me your terrible secrets and I don't care. Give me a chance and I'll prove it to you."

"But what about returning home and becoming clan leader? You'll need a wife and children and grandchildren, remember?"

"No, I don't remember because it wasn't me. I won't let my counterpart ruin this for me," Gabe spoke sharply. "If we ever return home, Rile will be clan leader."

"Rile?"

Her disbelief made Gabe smile."Ten years, Alex, and the children have changed him, all for the better. He will be an excellent clan leader, better than I could be. I'll support him whole-heartedly. So will Cale. He turned down the chance when I offered it to him as next in line."

"You mean that? But your dream was always—"

"That wasn't my dream. My dream has you in it. Please say you want a part of it."

She flung her arms around his neck. "I should be begging you for a second chance."

"You're beautiful and strong. You've been through so much more than Rile's Alex. Let me show you something more than pain and betrayal. Please give me a chance to show you love. I'll spend my life proving that I love you, if you let me."

Alex wept. "Your life? Not temporary? Not until you return to Olam?" Alex loosened her grip enough to look into his eyes.

"Until death do us part, like they say here on Earth," Gabe said.

Alex searched his face. "Until death do us part."

She placed a glowing hand on the side of his muzzle. He turned to kiss her palm. She drew him down onto the bed and this time when she started to glow, she didn't shut it down.

Gabe curled around her and they slid under the sheets. Alex traced down his neck and shoulder with her glowing hand. She clasped each of his hands with hers until his pain faded. Gabe cupped her face and kissed her as she outlined his body with sparkling hands.

When she finished, she drew both hands to his chest and they flared in a burst of white fire. Gabe arched his back then collapsed on the bed.

Alex pillowed her head on his chest. She breathed in his reassuring leathery scent, even more woodsy than his counterpart's.

"Rile and I are the luckiest beings in creation," he whispered.

"You're welcome," Alex said before her breathing evened out and she was asleep.

***

A/N

Two happy chapters in a row! Do y'all like it?