Ch. 11. 1 Compromised

Two agents huddled together against the far wall of the living room of the townhouse. They were as nondescript as Grange and his superior.

"I overheard the doc talking to the nurse.  He said she's stable enough to be moved tomorrow.  We'll grab her tonight." The man spoke in a low voice, but not low enough. 

Gabe heard every word from where he lay on the couch under an ugly brown and orange afghan. He had searched for days in thrift stores to match the one Alex had tucked over him when they first met.

"Sure you've got the nurse's schedule right?" one agent asked.

"I'm sure. There's no sign of her creepy visitors either."

"Creepy? You sound spooked.  What are they, ghosts and goblins?"

"Nah, never got a good look at them.  Not supposed to."

Gabe flung himself over the couch and nimbly landed in front of the agents. Gabe punched one square in the nose, a target he had learned disabled humans."We didn't want to strain your weak heart with our appearance."

The second man stared at the tall, humanoid dragon in front of him.

"Shoot him, idiot!" the first called out from behind hands cupped over a bloody nose.

The second agent didn't have time to aim before Gabe sent the gun spinning from his hand. The first man leapt up, pinning Gabe's arms behind him, followed by a vicious knee to his back.

"Shoot him quick, before this whole thing blows up in our faces."

The second man retrieved the gun and pressed it to Gabe's forehead.

"Leave . . . him . . . alone." The voice was like crushed glass.

They all turned to see the pale figure in a hospital gown standing in the doorway.  Alex raised her hand and white light exploded from it. 

The man with the gun cried out and shielded his face. The blast was far too weak to do anything but sting, but it gave Gabe the opening that he needed. 

He kicked the second man in the stomach and then flung off the man holding his arms. Alex blasted both the agents and they scrambled out of the townhouse, skin stinging from the power.

"Thanks, Alex." Gabe turned back to see her sink to the floor. "Are you all right? Stupid question." He scooped her up. "Here's another one: are you ready to get out of here?"

She put her arms around his neck, buried her face in his shoulder, and nodded.  There was no sign of the nurse. She must have heard the shot and decided that she needed help.

Gabe opened the window and dug his claws into the siding. He climbed down, but the vinyl siding gave way and they fell. His wings snapped open but only slowed their fall, didn't stop it.

"Alex!"

They stopped falling and Gabe's head snapped back from the speed burst. Apparently, Alex didn't want to be seen.

"To the carriage house. I must tell Rile and Cale that the townhouse is compromised," Gabe said.

***

"Not again," Rile said when he saw Gabe and Alex enter their apartment. "Can't you leave the poor girl in one place for more than a week without carrying her off like King Kong?"

Rile and Cale both jumped to their feet and approached them.

"No choice. Two of the agents were trying to kidnap her." Gabe helped Alex onto the couch.

"Terrific, Alex's hotter than a stolen Mercedes with a trunk full of cocaine. Why didn't you knock them out and leave her there?" Rile stood and tried to see Alex, but Gabe blocked him.