Chapter 4

Catina sat by the library window, staring down at the training field in silence. 

Ever since her elder sister had begun practicing swordsmanship, Catina would often find herself alone. At first she was happy that her sister was allowed to practice with the knights, but as the days went by she found that she could no longer smile when the hour came for Catrina to practice.

Although her mother had allowed Catrina to practice swordsmanship, Catina was not allowed, not that she minded, she too didn't think she had it in her to be a knight. Yet somehow when she watched her sister practice she felt unpleasant. 

Catina didn't understand what she was feeling or why she felt the way she did. Shouldn't she be happy that her sister was happy? 

Catina's train of thought was broken by the sudden sound of footsteps, Catina breathed a sigh of relief when she saw that it was her mother, she didn't think that she was in a suitable mood to be in the company of her eldest sister.

The maids often said that Catina and Catrina looked more like their mother than their father. Although Catina didn't think so, she and her sister had inherited their father's red hair and their mother's green eyes, didn't that make them equal? Or were they referring to her facial structure?

"You've been visiting the library quite often lately, is something the matter?" Her mother, Amelia questioned as she took a seat besides Catina.

"Must something be wrong for me to visit the library?" Catrina replied, her eyes moving to and fro, never once looking into her mother's eyes.

Amelia chuckled, "I didn't say that, it's just.... it's a bit unlike you."

Catina didn't respond, she didn't know how to, instead her eyes trailed back to the window.

"Ah, I see." A moment of realization struck Amelia, "You know, Catrina was a bit worried when you suddenly stopped showing up to watch her practice. You've also been ignoring her too, haven't you?"

"I haven't." Catina replied, guilt invading her system.

Amelia sighed, "Is it possible that you also want to practice swordsmanship?" 

Although Amelia had allowed Catrina to practice swordsmanship, she didn't want Catina to do so. Catina and Catrina were very different, Catina was very meek and tended to get upset easily, Amelia didn't think Catina would be able to handle the pain experienced when practicing. 

Catina nodded, "No mother."

"Catina, If you don't tell me what's wrong, how am I supposed to help you?" 

"There's nothing wrong mother." Catina insisted.

Amelia sighed, "Alright then dearest, just know that you can speak to me anytime." 

Amelia chose not to continue the conversation, she didn't want to upset her daughter. She knew that her daughter was unhappy about something, but she didn't know what. She wanted her daughter to open up to her, but she didn't know how to get her to. 

After all, the twins were her first set of children, she wasn't an experienced mother. She also had no younger siblings, only an older brother. Amelia hoped that giving her daughter space was the right thing to do.